Embossing Text in 3D Modeling - AutoCAD Mechanical 2007

Shopbell

I am currently working on a project where my customer is requiring some text to be placed on a molded item. This text not only needs to be either embossed or raised for visual reasons but it also has to be placed inside a curved notched so the text must follow this contour. Again, I am using AutoCAD Mechanical 2007.

Please help!!! :cry:

Thanks

Shopbell

Hi Shopbell,

I've noticed that this thread has no replies for quite some time now. I would like to offer my answer as I am not new with this situation because I am working for mold making company too. The only thing is that I am using plain Autocad. Here it is..

I usually start by putting a single text at the quadrant of my arc. The text is true type font and bottom centered justified, polar arrayed according to the target angle and quantity, individually edit and rotate to the desired location.

After this, I set-up my printer to dxb output and print.

Jochen,

That is an impressive example of vector UV mapping. :thumbsup:

I assume, from what I’ve seen of your previous work, that this was via automation. Did you derive the mapping coordinates mathematically – based on the profile curve. Or, were you able to query the solid’s underlying Nurbs surface to determine the proper locations.

It is quite more simple...

I transform (2D-) Cartesian coordinates of the nodes of 2D-Polylines (or Splines) into (3D-) cylindrical coordinates, which give me the nodes for drawing a 3D-Polyline.

You can use this 3D-polyline for creating a (cylindrical) extrusion (have a look for the minimal angles) or you can use the 3D-polyline for controlling NC-manufacturing.

But it is only for free circular rotated 3DSOLIDs yet...

Merry Christrmas again

Jochen

Very Interesting stuff. 8)

AutoCAD 2009's .Net API allows more access to surface definitions. This lead me to believe that Surface Unrolling and Geometry UV mapping via splines and Nurbs surfaces would be possible.

I know you've pioneered these processes with 3dPolys: Any plans to incorporate the extended access? – perhaps for solids and surfaces other than those of the Rotated variety.

Merry Christmas

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this hint - but my abilities are limited to some expressions in AutoLISP...

Furthermore I suppose the result of the wrapping should be a (linear segmented) 3D-polyline, because this polyline is used to control for instance a milling or engraving tool - and these tools normally do not understand splines yet.

Regards

Jochen

PS.: All the best for the rest of the Year