Linking blocks between DWG's

gazzalp

Everyone, does anyone know if its possible to link certain attributes in a block between DWG's? IE: we have a floor plan xref where we have a column block with the attributes of: size and number. We then have a column schedule, which also has the column size. Occasionally we will change the size on plan but forget to change it on schedule. Is there a way we can make it so if we change the block on plan, it changes automatically on the schedule? our schedule doesnt actually use a block but if what i has suggested is plausible i can make it a block. Also if it is possible i will upload a sample, but theres no point yet if its not possible.

It is kind of possible. One way to do this is using Excel. Create your schedule in Excel then in AutoCAD, goto TOOLS > DATA LINKS > DATA LINK MANAGER. Then click on Create a New Excel Data Link, name it whatever you like. Then BROWSE for the Excel spreadsheet you created as your schedule. Select a range for sheet and set properties as required.

To insert a table goto DRAW > TABLE and select Data Link we created earlier.

We now have a table of the schedule. Following the same process as previouslt mentioned you could create a Data Link for each block inserting the data link into seperate blocks. Not the best solution as you need seperate blocks for every instance but is a way to do it.

Thanks for your help. Im not sure if theres a better way to go about it, but i think im going to have to learn VBA anyway so i might hold off and do it in that. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

You can definately look up a block and then change another blocks attributes automatically.

To explain more I pick a block its used as a text label and read out 1 of its attribute its a unique id, I then pick points etc and write these answers to another block (different name but has an attribute with the same unique IDMore tommorrow battrey dying

Sorry about that battery died

The code I wrote just works inside one drawing but it should work across drawings you would get the answers from one drawing and then jump into the other drawing and update. It does what you are talking about picking one object but upadting something else within the drawing, my case model space pick but schedule in a layout space is updated. let me know will paste if you think usefull.