X-Ref binding problem

skipsophrenic

hi all,

Got a bit of a problem.

I've got a drawing i want to bind the xref to, but the xref i want is

already in the drawing, and i was wondering if it could be bound after

being referenced in or do i need to detatch it and then bind it.

I hope that there's a better way that aforementioned detatching.

Hi Skips,

If I understand your question correctly (10mins before I hit the road to home) you have to xref the drawing first then either xbind or xinsert. I prefer xbind as the layer names remain similar to the xref style, with the prefix xref.........

and xinsert will merge layers ie if both the xref and current drawing both have the layer text, all the text would merge onto the layer text...

hope this makes sense. You could always try saving a copy on the desktop and attempting the change. Always works for me...

I see you mentioned you are in the Construction side of things, me too, but I'm in darkest Leicester.

I got a question off of a the answer posted. Ive used the bind cmd and bindded xrefs. Is there anyway to remove the prefix it puts infront of the layers?

so if i'm understandin you right, then it needs detatching then re-attatching

as a bound x-ref? sorry took so long to reply, getting home tonight was a

nightmare. (Public transport = USELESS)

Skipso,

you don't neeed to detach it. you can bind it at any stage.

A1DWG,

You have explained the difference of bind-bind & bind-insert well.

Another differenc eits when you bind-bind it is exploded. but with bind-insert, it will come as a block in the file & later if you need you can explode it. I prefer bind-insert because it reduces the no of layers in my drawing. Also the bind-bind function puts prefix with thelayer & some unknown characters like $ in the names which makes file-size bigger. rename thise layer without those characters & you will see the difference.

Just a bit of more information for others to make decision on what suits them.

I got a question off of a the answer posted. Ive used the bind cmd and bindded xrefs. Is there anyway to remove the prefix it puts infront of the layers?

you can rename the layers but it is very long process.

why don't you post your query as seprate thread in customisation section. someone might have vba or lisps for this.

Skipso,

you don't neeed to detach it. you can bind it at any stage.

A1DWG,

You have explained the difference of bind-bind & bind-insert well.

Another differenc eits when you bind-bind it is exploded. but with bind-insert, it will come as a block in the file & later if you need you can explode it. I prefer bind-insert because it reduces the no of layers in my drawing. Also the bind-bind function puts prefix with thelayer & some unknown characters like $ in the names which makes file-size bigger. rename thise layer without those characters & you will see the difference.

Just a bit of more information for others to make decision on what suits them.

I thought so, it's just been a while since did any major x-ref work ( Except for that nasty 4 - 5 nested x-ref i had to try fix )

Hi matt41129

look at the posts titled "Renaming Layers" I think rkent might have the answer for you.

Skips,

sounds like you had a rough trip home. Is your xref sorted OK now?

when bind an xref it comes as a block

so if you want to reuse the same block as it is (you dont want to lose the modification u made like scale and number of insertion) u can use this command BLOCKTOXREF (EXPRESS MENU COMMAND)

this command replace a block with external file to use it as an xref

otherwise u can rename using RENAME the block and xref normaly the same file again.

ps. sorry for bad language, my mother tongue is not English.