Interesting situation with Data Links!!!!

KnoJa31

So i have an interesting situation. My company is starting to use the data links tool. So far so good. Until today.

I have a user that is inserting a table via data links into a drawing. Now through pain staking efforts, we have been able to recreate the font style and size in excel to match the font standard that is being used in CAD. We have cheat sheets for all of the tables so that each table is its own data link (had problems with all of the tables being one data link).

What is going on is that the when we go through the correct steps the font size is half the size of the standard. But this only happening on his system. When i open the same drawing (at three different stations) and preform the exact same steps the tables come in correctly.

Im assuming that this is a localized issue. But the question would be: How do i fix this dang thig on his computer?!!! i have set all of the standards that i use on his system. Not really sure how or where to even begin looking.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I had a number of problems with my datalink tables, one of which was fixed by installing a service pack. Do all the machines have the same level of service pack?

So i just checked and everyones Linetype scaling is the same. Im starting to think that it is more than just a setting in his computer.

I just had him delete out the table that i put in for him (the correct formatting) and re-insert the same table using the already existing data link. When he brought the table in it had the correct font size but the cell height was way off the actual size.

So i have a question that might be off topic then.

My company originally bought AutoCAD Electrical 2008. It turned out that the program could not do what we wanted it to do. So we transitioned over to AutoCAD 2008.

I show that i have "AutoCAD Electrical 2008 SP1" loaded into my system.

Its a weird situation. So we got Electrical. It didnt work. so instead we are now using the 2008 CAD that comes with Electrical. Could this cause a problem down the road? And/or should the company re-evaluate the way the system is set up?

dbroada,

Your a freakin genius!!!! He doesn't have the same service pack as i do.

that call was ReMark's. He pointed me to the service pack when I had format troubles with my tables. The service pack cured one of my problems but left a few others. Your problem sounded familiar to me. :)

As for electrical - don't know, but what couldn't it do? We are currently evaluating the swap.

I hope that there is no issue with the way that we are doing things! So far so good!

I was just wondering if it would cause a problem. Not really sure how that would work. Using the basic CAD from Electrical if it was setup and deployed under the premise that Electrical would be the main tool.

How does that work? Is Electrical an add on to the regular AutoCAD?

But i guess it can't hurt since it is installedwith Electrical! Right?

mechanical & electrical are marketed as extensions (rather than add-ons) to plain AutoCAD. They have been "sold" to us as plain AutoCAD plus a bit more. Our resellers make a big point about it being AutoCAD underneath so I don't think you have any technical problems using AutoCAD without utilising the Electrical bit.