reassign sketch plane - body disappear

jkristia

On the part I'm working on I had a pbolem where I had enabled the thin option on an extruded feature. Instead of thin I wanted to use an offset on the sketch itself, but after doing this I was not able to get the feature into a single solid, and was not able to disable the thin feature - so I ended up deleting the feature and re-add it.

This resulted in 5 other sketches now complaining that it can not find the plane, and the problem is when I select a sketch and go to 'edit sketch plane' then the entire disappear meaning I can not select the faces on the extruded feature.

So the questions are

#1 - any idea why I could just uncheck the 'thin' option on the extruded feature?

#2 - how can I select a face on a feature if the body disappear? Now this does not happen for all features, but it happens for all the features which are currently missing the reference plane.

Jesper

Jesper

Jesper. are you drawing a single part or are you working in an assembly?

Does the plane still appear in your model tree? if so you can right click on the plane and edit that feature. If you are working in an assembly file and trying to create new parts, be careful if you select another object as your sketch plane, you will create locked geometry.

The thin option is probably there because your sketch isnt closed or constrained in some way. Go back to your sketch and make sure it is closed. If you are working in an assembly and you use constraints to another part in the assembly this will also cause you loads of grief.

You didnt accidentally suppress the part your trying to work with did you?

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately I ended up deleting all the sketches that were missing the plane.

This is what I did, I'm just playing with SW so I decided to create a small building (I know SW is not really designed for that - but anyway).

I created an extrude of a closed sketch representing the outline of the walls. Then instead of using shell I decided to use thin in the extrude.

Now I wanted to add clapboard siding, so I created a sketch for one board on one wall, copied the sketch to the other walls, then did an extruded cut, then used array to copy the board the entire height of the walls.

Now when I had the solid with the thin I decided to change it to a solid and shell instead, but SW wouldn't let me remove then 'thin' from the feature, so I ended up deleting the feature and add it again, and with no problems in creating the solid. However, now all the clapboard sketches are missing their planes since all the original faces had been deleted. And it was now when I tried to select the "Select Plane" on the sketch that the main extrude (the walls) disappeared, and reappeared as soon as I exited the 'plane' command.

This is what I'm playing with. I'm only using this for practice, which is the reason I decoded to create the building as a single part (multipel bodies), including all walls and trim.

The second image is the assembly where I'm now working on the windows and door

Jesper

building.png

building_asm.png