How to show beams on Floor Plan

profcad

Merry Christmas everyone.

I have two beams at Elev 8' to 9' (Top of Wall). How can I get these beams to show up on the floor plan with the cutting plane set at 4'.

I want these two beams to show up on the floor plan as hidden lines.

It is possible in Revit or do I need to draw some hidden lines to represent the beams.

See below

beams.jpg

• 1 month later...

OK, Are these beams visible in a higher view, like a roof plan or top of wall level?

If so, in your floor plan, bring up your view properties, under graphics there is a filed called "underlay". Change this to whatever view the beams are seen in.

Use your lineweight tool, it looks like a fountain pen on your second menu bar. Change the type to overhead/hidden or whatever you like.

Select the edge of the beams that you would like to be visible in the view.

This actually appears to add a line in this view for the beams, but it is actually the edge of the beam.

Go back to your view properties and change the underlay to none. You should see a dashed line where your beams were, which wil be dynamic to your beam, so if the beam moves, your dashed line will move with it.

Yes that is another option.

We have had issues with the view region also including the adjacent structure to objects at a higher level and causing strange visibility situation on the plans, not in every case, but certainly enough to be annoying.

Also, the amount of view regions can cause performance issues with the model.

• 3 weeks later...
OK, Are these beams visible in a higher view, like a roof plan or top of wall level?

If so, in your floor plan, bring up your view properties, under graphics there is a filed called "underlay". Change this to whatever view the beams are seen in.

Use your lineweight tool, it looks like a fountain pen on your second menu bar. Change the type to overhead/hidden or whatever you like.

This actually appears to add a line in this view for the beams, but it is actually the edge of the beam.

Go back to your view properties and change the underlay to none. You should see a dashed line where your beams were, which wil be dynamic to your beam, so if the beam moves, your dashed line will move with it.

Definitely take that route.. but make sure your detail level is set to fine.. If it is set to course you will not see the beam correctly. Most likely it will look like a single wide line.

• 5 years later...

Where can i find " lineweight tool" in revit 2015 ?

I thought one uses the Linework Tool to edit the way lines look in Revit. In release 2011 the tool could be found on the Modify Tab > View panel. Not sure if it was moved in 2015. Wouldn't your Help file tell you where it is located?

Just passing time til the more knowledgeable Revit users made an appearance. I'm still very much a novice so no need to worry I'll steal your thunder. :)