Learning....Solid creation question....

jlab13

I need to be able to make a lot of odd shaped 3d objects. I'll give an example:

I need a 3d "wedge" with an arc'd top and bottom. I draw this in 2d first. Looking at it from "top" I draw a line at say 45deg on the left of my workspace. Than I mirror it to the right. Leaving a 3' gap in between. I draw an arc connecting the top, then again for the bottom. I now have my odd shaped "wedge" in 2d. How to I turn this into a solid? If I just extrude, it extrudes the lines correctly, but My object has no top or bottom. How to I fill these spaces in? Create "caps" if you will. I can use push/pull, which works, but it feels like cheating!! What's the conventional Cad way to do this?

Thanks sooooo much for any help!!!

By extruding the lines you're actually creating a surface, not a solid. Replace the lines with a closed polyline or region and it will extrude as a solid. Probably my all time favorite command for this though is BOUNDARY. You can use this to basically trace the outside of any enclosed space and create a region our polyline out of it.

Boundary worked! That was easy! Thanks!

I actually have another newb question....

My drawing is only zooming out to let me see about 6' x 6'. I've set my drawing limits to 0'0' x 100',100'. How can I zoom out to get more drawing space? It's tough to draw something that's 20' wide when I can only access 6'wide window!

Thanks sooo much!

I actually have another newb question....

My drawing is only zooming out to let me see about 6' x 6'. I've set my drawing limits to 0'0' x 100',100'. How can I zoom out to get more drawing space? It's tough to draw something that's 20' wide when I can only access 6'wide window!

Your question has already been answered in your other thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30795

There is no need to ask the same question multiple times. Just ask it once and then wait for a response. Answers come quick around here, so you generally don't have to wait very long.