help draft plans for a house

Be sure to read the command line while working. First you need to select the object to be subtracted from, in this case your wall. Then you hit and select the object to subtract (your door outline).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rollie

• MaxwellEdison

• ReMark

• arjun_samar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Select the objects outside of a command and see what object types are selected with the properties palette. Its possible your polyline/rectangles were retained and you're selecting that instead of the solid.

ok now im just lost. have no idea what im doing. ive tried everything and it still says no solids and regiopns selected. does this mean i have to redo everything?? has it got something to do with me making both the external walls and the internals was different layers?

No, layers wouldn't matter. Can you eelect the wall and the door opening and use WBLOCK to create them in a seperate drawing to post here please?

whats WBLOCK. autocad really isnt a strong point of mine, not quite sure what u mean, if you want i could email the drawing im working on, but no sure if that helps

From the AutoCAD Help file

To create a new drawing file from selected objects

1. Open an existing drawing or create a new drawing.
  2. At the command prompt, enter wblock.
  3. In the Write Block dialog box, select Objects. If you want the original objects used to create the new drawing to remain in your drawing, make sure the Delete From Drawing option is not selected. If this option is selected, the original objects are erased from the drawing. If necessary, you can use OOPS to restore them.
  4. Click Select Objects.
  5. Use your pointing device to select the objects to be included in the new drawing. Press ENTER to complete object selection.
  6. In the Write Block dialog box under Base Point, specify the point to be the origin point (0,0,0) for the new drawing using one of these methods:
    • Click Specify Point to specify a point using the pointing device.
    • Enter the X,Y,Z coordinate values of the point.

[*]Under Destination, enter a file name and path for the new drawing, or click the [...] button to display a standard file selection dialog box.

[*]Click OK. A new drawing is created with the selected objects.

ok this is going to make me sound really stupid, lol but i literally have no clue what any of that means or what im doing. surely subtracting a door is one of the easiest things i could do, i must have made an error somewhere

I just want to get a look at the two entities to see what if any problem there might be. WBLOCK (or write block) is a command to take entities from your drawing and pushing them out to a seperate drawing file, basically an export or CopyToNew type command. Try it out, set the path to your my documents folder (use the [...] button) and then open that file to see the objects selected. Once you understand the concept, use it to post a drawing of those two entities here so we can have a look under the hood so to speak.

I keep my email private as I can, and that wouldn't help people stumbling upon this thread in the future to understand the probem.

its saying no solids selected, could that be becuase of a gap in my design, do i select all the buildings walls or just the one i want the door to be on?

Click Post reply, then down under the text window theres an additional options section. click manage attachments, click browse, navigate to the file, click open, click upload, then click close this window at the top of the attachment window.

Click "Go Advanced"

1.jpg

Click on the paperclip icon

2.jpg

Click "Browse"

3.jpg

Select the file you wish to upload

and click open.

4.jpg

Click upload

5.jpg

Click the little arrow to side of paperclip

and then click on file

6.jpg

You will then get somethin like the numbers

below appear in your text window - this means

the upload went ok - don't worry about the

numbers, they'll appear different to mine.

7.jpg

BINGO! You don't have any solids. You extruded lines which creates a 2 dimensional surface instead of a 3 dimensional solid. To create a solid you need to extrude a polygon or closed polyline. I'd recommend using the RECTANGLE command with your endpoint osnap set and draw rectangles for each wall, this way you can work on each independently. Also your door outline is nowhere near square, use a rectangle for this as well. The one final thing is that the overall size of the house is extremely small. Only 32 units long. If you type UNITS you'll see you are set in millimeters, which means your house is roughly the size of a matchbox.

You're probably not going to want to hear this, but I think it would be best if you'd start over, draw your house full scale, and either use polylines or rectangles to create the your wall layout before extruding them.

One little design quibble. On the back of the floor plan your walls are slightly offset creating these "stub walls"stubwall.jpg I'd probably move the red walls inward so they line up and all rooms would then be squared up. The will also make it signifigantly easier when its time to move to the roof.

maxwell, you got it first. But I agree you need to use polylines ( i thought they had to be closed but you could be right i rarely do 3d) or rectangles or polygons. Rectangles will probably be the easiest for this