help draft plans for a house

hello all.....a bit of a stupid question, but im new to this. ive got coursework were i have to design a house in 3d form. now im starting to design the layout of the house, inorder to created the 3d house. my question is, for the floor plan, do i had interiors walls withing the house etc in order to create the 3d shape.

would much appriciate the help given

thanks you

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rollie

• MaxwellEdison

• ReMark

• arjun_samar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello all.....a bit of a stupid question, but im new to this. ive got coursework were i have to design a house in 3d form. now im starting to design the layout of the house, inorder to created the 3d house. my question is, for the floor plan, do i had interiors walls withing the house etc in order to create the 3d shape.

would much appriciate the help given

thanks you

welcome to the forum..

im not really that good in 3d.. but i think.. and my methods..

if im going to create 3d house and present it only a rendered exterior perspective.... i only create the exterior things....

but if im going to present the 3d with interior settings.... then i should create the interior walls and etc....

ok.. in order to create 3d shape of a house you dont need to create interior wall if not needed for presentation purposes....

hope it may help......

thanks...yeah i also need to show a room withing the building....this is going to be a long week lol. i hate autocad just cant get my head around it.

cheers

thanks...yeah i also need to show a room withing the building....this is going to be a long week lol. i hate autocad just cant get my head around it.

cheers

so if your going to present also the interior then you should draw it also.... like my teacher always say to me... just enjoy while working.... dont think that its a work... just think of it as a time to enjoy and a time to learn something new...:D

and sir... if its ok with you. if you finish your work you can post the image in the showcase here is the link where people post thier work in an image....http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

First off I would hand draw a sketch of what i want, and then work from that :)

(Don't take too long just a basic sketch)

As for do you NEED to to interior walls all depends on what type of

interior you've got going. Open plan/walled off rooms etc . .

Personally, I would create the interior walls as well in the advent the instructor were to ask for a cutaway of the house. If you're in doubt, ask your teacher if just creating the "shell" of the house is sufficient.

Your attitude about AutoCAD gives me the impression you weren't paying much attention in class. I hope I am wrong.

If you get stuck with a particular aspect of the 3D construction then return here with a new question. We won't do your assignment for you but we will give you all the pointers you'll need to finish the job.

I recommend thinking in terms of converting your floorplan to 3d. Use rectangles for the entire length of a wall and seperate rectangles for doors/windows, this will allow you later to easily extrude everything and subtract out your openings. I'd also take the time to model your doors and windows so that you can easily insert them later. If time is an issue (when isn't it :P) XRef those features in and start with simple 3d blocks. then when its time to add polish you can go into the file to work on each one individually and update the drawing globally. Start with a simple but sound wall layout and layer in the details until you run out of time or patience. Also don't forget the color faces command available under SOLIDEDIT for a quick and easy way to slap on a coat of paint to a room. And check out sites like Cad Block Exchange Network to find furniture or other things you need. Also Kohler and Kraftmaid have some pretty good surface models available through i-drop.

thanks. ive already designed the layout of the building. i now want to add windows and doors, but cant remember how to incorporated them into the exterior walls. i hope i dont have to redo the walls and leave spaces for where the windows and doors go.

anyway of adding them with new layers???

thanks

Life would be alot simpler if you had a copy of Architectual Desktop you can use, or if you were allowed to use a different program for the 3D view of it

I just finished doing a complex 3d house for a collaborative project I had been working on for months. In the end it was easier and 10 times faster to use 3d solids than use walls and slabs with architectural desktop (for me). With walls and slabs, to create the kinds of complex geometric walls, roof sections, and structural members I needed was a nightmare. I ended up having some slabs and walls with 6 body modifiers or MORE! I'm not familiar enough with architecture 2008 to draw these complex designs without pulling my hair out.. So after some successes and then running into a brick wall after a few weeks of working on it off and on (due to the complexity of the drawing and the overall design), I went back to basics and drew the whole thing in 3d in 2-3 days using customized 3d solids..

I then used splines and 3dpolylines to create motion path animations for my walkthroughs and walkarounds of the structure. The easiest way to do walkarounds is to draw 2 circles.... 1 for the camera path one for the target... But you can change the Z variable to angle the camera up or down. Ended up really cool and had some awesome walkthroughs (even if it didn't have the rendered or architectural desktop look everybody likes these days).

-ChriS

Seeing how it is a school project I cant imagine it being too complex. I would ask the istructor if you can do the 2D layout in autocad than use another software (such as Skethcup) to do a 3D model of it. Unless of course it is for a 3D autocad class, than your just going to have to see which approach will work best for you.

I would consider extruding the outline of a door or window then extracting that solid from the wall of your building. That will give you the "opening".

I'm with ReMark on this, but before yo go to far save a backup copy of what

you've got so far, that way should something go wrong you've always got a

backup copy.

I would consider extruding the outline of a door or window then extracting that solid from the wall of your building. That will give you the "opening".

Actually, that would only give you part of the solution.

Subtracting like that is a good tip but that only works properly if the door thickness is the same or thicker than the thickness of the wall (which it normally is not). You could technically extrude the door in place and then use the slice command to cut the opening it needs. Otherwise, if you are going to subtract another 3d solid it needs to be big enough to subtract what you need for that door opening and to create a door opening in a 6" wall you would need a solid of at least 6" thick (unless you used a different command). If you subtracted a 3" 3d-solid from a 6" wall, for example, you wouldn't end up with a complete door opening because 3" of the wall would still be blocking the opening.

How I did it was a little more complex. First I would drop the door inside the 3d-solid where I wanted it. I would then use either slice or subtract to create the door opening (using subtract, I would first trace the door frame and create a 3d box wider than the wall to create the opening I wanted. I created an outline for my door frames, extruded it, and simply put that on the perimeter of the opening for my door frame. After putting all of them in place, I used union to create 1 3d-solid for my door frame (which I could then use elsewhere too).. I then created a simple 3d door from scratch and showed it attaching to the door frame (with the door open). In the walkthrough, all of my doors were then open (which I wanted).

If you simply extruded a door outline to create a 3d-solid and then deleted it, that would be counterproductive because you would be right back where you started. If you subtracted that new 3d solid from within the wall you would end up with a cavity in the wall but you still wouldn't have the opening you need (though you would have reference points needed to slice the door opening)..

-ChriS

As I said before, create a blocks for your doors and windows as they would be installed, complete with trim, then subtract out the R.O. size from the wall and insert the appropriate block. You should already have the R.O. from your schedules. I'd recommend doing a simple floor plan and then layer on as much detail as time allows.

I'd punch a hole in the wall for the door opening then add my casing, trimwork and the door itself. But, as you see, there is more than one way to accomplish the task. Go with the one that you are the most comfortable with and will require the least amount of work on your part.

im having problems subtracting the door from the wall. ive drawn the rectangle and extruded it by the height i want it to be, but i still dont understand how to subtract. i type in subtract and highlight what i want removed and when i press enter nothing seems to happen and when i press hide i can see and form of door way