Problem running Autocad 2009

waitsui

ok so im trying to use autocad 2009, but my cursor is quite laggy, and normally its really smooth........i got this desktop like 4 months ago, so the hardware shouldn't b a problem......

I think i know what the problem is, just not sure how to fix it. I tried uninstalling the whole program and getting rid of everything autocad related to make sure everything is deleted. I tried installing again and a message saying my machine contains a 3D Device that is not certified. You can check for updates and download the latest certification list at any time. Run the 3DCONFIG command and click the Check for Updates button. But the problem is, I tried checking for updates, but after it finish searching, it says Performance tuner failed to update. Please check your network connection and make sure you have write permission to the file...........So what am i suppose to do now?

Here is a log from Autocad 2009: and btw I am using an Intel Quad Core Q6600. I know all my hardware is more than enough to handle cad.

Performance Tuner Results Log

Version: 17.2.0.1

Date of Last Tune: 1/5/2009

Machine Configuration

---------------------

Processor Speed : 2.4 GHz

RAM : 4094 MB

3D Device

---------

Name : NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

Manufacturer : NVIDIA

Chip set : GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

Memory : 2289 MB

Driver : 7.15.0011.8048

Your machine contains a 3D Device that is not certified.

As more graphics cards and 3D display drivers are tested, they are added to a list on the Autodesk website.

You can check for updates and download the latest certification list at any time. Run the 3DCONFIG command and click the Check for Updates button.

Current application driver: direct3d9.hdi

Current Effect Status:

----------------------

Enhanced 3D Performance: Available and on

Smooth line display: Not available

Gooch shader: Available and using hardware

Per-pixel lighting: Available and on

Full-shadow display: Available and on

Texture compression: Available and off

Available application drivers and effect support:

-------------------------------------------------

Software driver

Effect support:

Enhanced 3D Performance: Not applicable

Smooth line display: Not applicable

Gooch shader: Software emulation only

Per-pixel lighting: Not applicable

Full-shadow display: Not applicable

Texture compression: Not applicable

Direct3D driver: Not Certified

Effect support:

Enhanced 3D Performance: Available

Smooth line display: Not applicable

Gooch shader: Available

Per-pixel lighting: Available

Full-shadow display: Available

Texture compression: Available

Enhanced 2D Performance: Available

If the cursor was "laggy" maybe you should have looked into mouse related problems and their solutions before uninstalling then reinstalling AutoCAD. Don't you think that was a bit extreme? It's like you swapped engines in your car because you noticed a flat tire.

You may have a problem with a setting in the Windows Registry. Do you have a Restore point you could go back to that predates the first installation of AutoCAD?

What operating system are you using?

Do you have plain AutoCAD 2009 or a vertical?

What other programs are running while working in AutoCAD? Antivirus, other CAD packages, etc.?

I know when I have Inventor up as well as AutoCAD then AutoCAD is not worth trying to use, I see the same sticky cursor movement you are describing.

I would doubt it is the graphics card, especially if this is only in 2D drawings.

3D Device

---------

Name : NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

Manufacturer : NVIDIA

Chip set : GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

Memory : 2289 MB

Driver : 7.15.0011.8048

Your machine contains a 3D Device that is not certified.

As more graphics cards and 3D display drivers are tested, they are added to a list on the Autodesk website.

You can check for updates and download the latest certification list at any time. Run the 3DCONFIG command and click the Check for Updates button.

According to AutoCAD's website listing for graphics cards (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/hc?siteID=123112&id=6711853&linkID=9240618 ) the GeForce 9800 is not listed as having been tested for use with AutoCAD. I'm assuming this is probably just because it is a newer card and I would also assume that this card would work with AutoCAD but I guess there is that slight possibility that it's not supported for use with AutoCAD. This could be part of your issue but it still doesn't explain why your performance tuner is failing to update. Not sure what to say about that. As rkent asked, what is your O/S? This could be an issue as well because with your computer being new it could be a 64-bit processor with a 64-bit O/S and I have heard that there are issues with the 64-bit and AutoCAD though I can't confirm them because I don't run the 64-bit.

Non-supported cards do not have AutoCAD specific drivers written for them. They will still work with AutoCAD because it is a Windows based program.

I am currently using vista ultimate 64bit. A month ago everything work perfectly, but all of a sudden, it just started lagging on me. I tried system restore, but i was only given a few restore point that was too recent to go back to. I have plain autocad 2009, and I don't have anything running when working on cad.

I am going to try uninstalling my current video drivers (from Control Panel...Programs). Then download the latest, WHQL certified version of the drivers for my system, hope this will helps.

I'm just not seeing the problem between a laggy cursor and the video drivers as nothing really changed.

Did you troubleshoot the input device you're using?

Sighhh, still lags, I am running out of ideas. Would avoid using autocad 09, and getting an older version of Cad might solve my problem?

And how do i troubleshoot the input device I am using?

I am currently using vista ultimate 64bit. A month ago everything work perfectly, but all of a sudden, it just started lagging on me. I tried system restore, but i was only given a few restore point that was too recent to go back to. I have plain autocad 2009, and I don't have anything running when working on cad.

I am going to try uninstalling my current video drivers (from Control Panel...Programs). Then download the latest, WHQL certified version of the drivers for my system, hope this will helps.

I think you can forget the video drivers, that is not going to be the issue.

Lets not over look the obvious, are you using the new floating palette layer manager? If so, turn it off and leave it off.

Also, turn off the visual effect settings in Options>Selection to see if that helps. See the advanced options while there for other settings.

Do you have the display digital signature information checked in Options> Open and save? If so Uncheck it.

Sorry if these suggestions are things you already knew about, but without more info we have to start from somewhere.

If all else fails, check the tire pressure :D

(I once had an error message on a beta product respond with "add water".)

• 1 month later...

Acer

AMD Athlon Dual core 4850e (2.5 Ghz)

4 Gig Ram

Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

NVidia GeForce 9500gt

AutoCAD 2009 64 Bit.

Standard Wirless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0

Basic Logitech keyboard

Any time the cursor (with NO command active and running osnaps off) passes over a dim starts to stall and lag until it moves past the dim. :?

Actually selecting the dim causes more lag for at least 3-5 seconds.

Durring that time any mouse movement of the mouse could cause it to move a grip

This is true of ALL the systems at our office too. They have a variety of systems.

One of the guys says he heard from somplace it was a conflict between windows and AutoCAD fighting over control of resources... Sounds like the same ACAD 12 issue when they first went onto Windows. :cry:

Maybe hardware acceleration is the issue, try the following:

You can turn off hardware graphic acceleration fully or partially from the Control Panel:

1. From the Start menu (Windows), choose Settings > Control Panel.
  2. In the Control Panel window, double-click the System icon.
  3. In the System Properties dialog box, select the Performance tab.
  4. On the Performance tab, choose the Graphics button.
  5. In the Application Performance section, move the slider all the way to the left to turn off video acceleration.

If that works, then go back and move the slider one notch at a time until you see the problem, then move it back one.

• 3 weeks later...

have you tried going into the advanced settings of your graphics card? and under "Manage 3D settings" create program settings for just Autocad? Mine was a bit laggy at first then messed with the settings and it cleared all up.