"save" in the file "pull down menu" not working

kfarrar

When I click "save" in the "file" pull down menu, the save dialog box doesnt open and the program wants me to use the command line. Isnt there a 'toggle' switch command to fix this? I just cant remember or find what it is.

Thanks

Kevin

Set FILEDIA to 1

Also, please use the search function in the future. This question has been answered a myriad of times here.

well if somebody wants to compile a list of those unguessable settings for the FAQ please do!

we'll need the command and it's assorted settings, what those settings do, and the 'errors' which they seem to throw up or the 'problems' they solve :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
Set FILEDIA to 1

Also, please use the search function in the future. This question has been answered a myriad of times here.

I guess I would wonder how his machine got set to 0 when the rest were at 1 for the FILEDIA variable....

It's been an annoying issue for years.

It can happen when ill-behaved customization routines set it to 0 and fail to set it back to 1. It can also happen when better-behaved customization routines temporarily set FILEDIA to 0, but Autocad crashes before it gets set back to 1.

I put a line in my ACADDOC.LSP file to set it to 1 at startup, because these days, I typically only see it when Autocad crashes. And actually, there are a couple of other similar settings that periodically get reset, so I reset them, too. Here's the lines in my ACADDOC.LSP file:

(setvar "filedia" 1)
        (setvar "cmddia" 1)
        (setvar "attdia" 1)

You can also modify the CUI as mentioned here, to reset FILEDIA when running various commands:

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=6330713#6330713

Unfortunately for me, I am working in 2002 and I don't believe that the CUI existed in that old version. Which stinks, because I love to customize any application that I use a lot. And from all that I read, the commands that can be put into the CUI seem pretty useful. I am fairly new to AutoCAD, but I have figured out the pgp file, and I would think the CUI would be the next step. I'm still not quite to LISP yet!

Good description though, and if I ever come into a similar problem, hopefully I will recall to check what my system variables are set to.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

you just need to create a file called "acaddoc.lsp" on notepad and save it in folder support inside AutoDesk folder.

what should be inside "acaddoc.lsp"? just type these three lines inside this "acaddoc.lsp".

(SETVAR "PICKFIRST" 1)

(SETVAR "FILEDIA" 1)

(princ "System variables have been restored")

i hove this post help you alot.

All you need to do is to create a file in note pad name it "acaddoc.lsp" and type following three lines and copy in "support" folder inside "AutoDesk\Autocadxxx\support" folder

(SETVAR "PICKFIRST" 1)

(SETVAR "FILEDIA" 1)

(princ "System variables have been restored")

regards,

Mueez