Dynamic Simulation problem in Inventor Professional 11

john2009

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to run a dynamic simulation on a cam & follower mechanism in Inventor Professional 11. The cam does not make a complete revolution but oscillates back and forth. The cam works with a roller follower that oscillates about a swing arm pivot bearing.

Since the cam curve is not a closed loop of 360 degrees and only lasts for a 70 degree or so portion of 360 degrees, Inventor will not create a rolling joint between the cam and roller follower.

After I select "Ri cylinder curve joint" and then select the curve, Inventor says " Impossible to loop from selected reference, click planar face of loop or one edge of it's outline."

If I try to click an edge of the curve, inventor says "a curve can only be a spline or loop of lines and/or arcs." The solid model of the cam was created in AutoCAD Mechanical 2007.

I have tried to go to the assembly panel and create a motion constraint between the cam and roller and then convert the constraint to a joint in the dynamic simulation panel, but this did not work either. Inventor just said that it did not understand the joint.

It seems to me there must be some way to create the joint and run the simulation. I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback.

Thanks

John

I figured it out, I had to create a rotatable joint at the cam follower roller, and then use the "3D contact joint" to actually make the joint. The joint "Ri cylinder joint curve" did not work, even though from the joint animation preview window it looked like the best fit. John