Migrating to AutoCAD from Microstation

Mr.Alex

Hi, this looks like a very helpfull forum!

I'm seriously considering moving to AutoCAD from Microstation. Has anyone done this before? What was it like?

I've been using Microstation for years, so I'm not exactly thrilled about the prospect of changing!

Anyone know of any resources for making this move? There seems to be lots on moving from AutoCAD to Microstation, but I'm struggling to find anything for going the other way :cry:

Thanks!

If you're not thrilled about changing why are you doing it?

Thanks for the speedy reply!

All the work I issue has to be in .dwg format, and currently I work in '.dwg mode' in Microstation. This is ok, and I have learnt to live/work around the many compatability issues, but it seems like a crazy way to carry on.

I only started doing it to begin with because I was already Microstation fluent, but I can see for the long run it really would be worthwhile me learning AutoCAD!

One of the main problems i know of is the change in terminology,

I.E. a block in AutoCAD is called a cell in Microstation,

Explode in AutoCAD is Drop,

Attributes in AutoCAD are Tags in microstation . . . etc

-------

ReMark he knows how to use microstation,

he's lookin at learning AutoCAD.

-------

Skipso: That was obvious from his question. Maybe you should take a look at the link too. Follow the same directions. If you have any further question as to why I posted the link feel free to come back and ask. I'll do my best to explain it to you. :)

ok, next time i be dumb, feel free to hit me with a rubber chicken!!

I missed the product overview bit (Duh! now i feel like a right twerp)

Thanks for all of the replys :D

Thanks ReMark, that book looks very uesfull - especially appendix A!

I also found a book that looks like it covers both called "Microstation V8 for Autocad Users - C Aarhus"

Has anyone read either?

I'm definately going to order at least one of the two!

When it comes down to it, you shouldn't have much trouble migrating at all. There are enough similarities between the two and you have all the help you need right here at cadtutor. A secondary venue might be at theswamp.org particularly if you use a vertical product. Lastly there's always augi.com, but I don't visit there much anymore.

Thank you rustysilo, you're right, I'm sure I'll be fine.

I'll work my way through some tutorials and get one of those books. I know there will be some frustrating moments, but it will be well worth it in the long run!

I know CAD well enough to know what I want to do, and how to do it, it will just be a case of finding the right tools, and learning the AutoCAD lingo!

I've just been working my way through some of the tutorials, and I'd like to say thank you, they're very good indeed!

I like the way AutoCAD makes more use of the keyboard than in Microstation. I think that could really improve efficiency!