Importing Templates into SketchUP

designer7

I'm just learning how to use Sketchup, and I was wondering if there is an easy way to import blocks (like a model of a toilet) into a current Autocad plan (in the process of becoming a 3D model)?

I tried copying and pasting, but the toilet is not on the same plane as my plan. I'm also having this problem with other items I'm trying to draw into my plan that aren't connected to the original plan's line intersection points. Basically, if I had a table drawn into plan on cad- it shows up as a rectangle. If it has a pedestal base, you would not see it in plan view. How do I create this pedestal base on my plan's plane instead of the middle of no where?

I hope this makes sense!

Yep, I'm confused.

You are learning Sketchup but you want to import a block (made in Sketchup?) into a current AutoCAD (LT ?) plan? Then you mention 3D. AutoCAD LT doesn't do true 3D.

Thanks for the reply...maybe I should start out with one question.

If I want to draw an object into SketchUp, that is not part of my original Autocad file, how do I make sure it is created on the sample plane as my autocad file? I've been able to create new objects as long as they were next to an endpoint on one of the lines in my drawing, but when I try to draw something that's in the middle of a room (like a table base) it seems to draw in a different plane.

I'm guessing that you drew your floorplan in AutoCAD LT then imported it into Sketchup? Is that correct?

And it is on this floorplan that you wish to draw the table base. Is that correct?

that would be a good suggestion- but I'm having problems moving things too (without moving the entire plan). I know this question probably sounds absurd-I just started playing with it today.

Disclaimer: I haven't used Sketchup in quite some time so I am very rusty.

I would have thought by now that someone else would jump in here and assist you but I am dismayed by the lack of response. My only suggestion at this point would be to consult the online manual for Sketchup.

Well had I checked here yesterday I would have jumped in.

It sounds like your floor plan is not on the ground plane and when you are drawing something new you are drawing on the ground plane.

Also, with regards to your moving issues, am I correct that when you move an object it seems "Sticky" to other objects? If so you need to investigate groups and components.

Can you post the "offending file" so we can look at it?

If you have not already you should look at these tutorials:

http://sketchup.google.com/training/videos.html