Breaking Component Over Multiple DWGs

ziemerd

I am in the process of converting some ACAD drawings to ACE and I'm having some issues. There are several drawings for one project but there are connectors that span across several drawings. It is my understanding that a connector/component can be broken and placed on the same drawing so when a parts list is made it only lists one connector. I was told that the same connector cannot be broken and placed on separate drawings.

Does anyone have a work around for this?

Thanks for the help.

Dawn

Ok...this can be done by choosing a connector from the connector utilities and choose for it to stop at each pin insertion. When you have the number of pins you want, break the connector and make the next. If you have no more places in that drawing for that connector then end it. You'll get a dialogue box telling you it will start back up where you left off when you go to insert the connector. Click ok and navigate to your next drawing, select the connector and it will ask you if you want to continue say yes and keep going until you use up all the pins.

I still don't understand this tool because there doesn't seem to be a way to assign it a part number. Why would I want to use this for a connector that needs to be on my BOM and not be able to assign it a part number.

If you right click on that connector that has all the pins, you can click on split connector. then it should give you options on how you want to split it. the second piece becomes a child component. then try to copy using 'ctrl c'. go to the drawing you want the second one on and 'ctrl p'. then go back and delete the second on on the first page. does that help?

also you can create the first connector as a parent, using only the pins you need for that page. go to the next page, and when you click on the insert connector page, you can start it as child, giving a new set of pin numbers to start with. insert it, and when you right click and edit it again, click on the bottun on top left that says project. then find the parent in that list and click on it.

both options should get you one part for your BOM.

let me know if this helps or if you want some screen shots.

-J

Thanks for the info. I was successful at placing a parent part of the connector on one drawing and children on the other drawings.

Would you by chance know how to assign a part number to this connector? When I go to Insert Component it gives me a dialog box with the option to look up the part number but not so with connectors from the Connector Utilities.

Thanks.

Dawn

After you insert the connector, what if you right click on the parent and click on edit component? That should bring up the dialog to input part number/manufacturer.

-James

Hey...it worked this time. I tried the edit component but didn't get the dialog box I got this time that allows a catalog look up. Thanks.