How can I make a pillow?

lilrose

im all new to autocad, n ive been tryin to make a pillow from autocad2007 application. I've used loft with 3 interfaces n this is all i cud come up with. Shall i use any other command or is there anyway i cud make it look more like a pillow with the right material from the lofting command? This is my first thread..so i dunno much abt posting n replyin...i hope that i'd be notified when replied to my thread. My english may not b dat good since im not from an english speakin country..n i dunno all the autocad terms bt hope u'll understand

PILLOW.png

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shift1313

• ReMark

• papagyi

• lilrose

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lilrose

First of all: welcome in the forum!

As you found out, AutoCAD is a program for objects with regular surfaces, like the machined ones. I don't say you can't create pillows or human faces or other "natural" or "organic" models, just the way is longer.

Your second pillow is quite pretty.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the forum qwerty. Im sure there must b an easier way to do this bt i can tell u how i did it. I made profiles for different cross sections in the pillow and lofted it. Ive attached the cad file with the profiles of the cross-sections (bt not lofted). Hope this will help u:)

pillow backup.dwg

making something organic is a big challenge in a software like this. I think you did a great job with it. the biggest thing you need to watch for is sharp corners. I would set it up like a bunch of cross sections of the pillow. make sure you change the width/height/profile through these sections. The fewer sections you can use, the smoother the shape and more organic the loft will be. The more you stick in there, the more defined things will be. Here is something i did real quick. it was 4 cross sections, then mirrored 3 times. I tried to simulate what the pillow would look like if a head were set on it. Other programs like Inventor are better because you can go back and alter your splines and update the model. Acad you have to undo, modify then re-loft. I dont recommend using mirror. it will make your object less organic that way(like the seam in the middle of mine. Dont forget you can use guides as well

pillow.jpg

if you actually come up with a plan for what you want it to look like you can draw a spot where a head would have been. Just remember to not make your sketches too close to each other or you will get sharp transitions. here is one with a "impression"

I think for something like this, the edge is going to be the most difficult thing to get to look real. I think a hard edge with a very small fillet might give the right look.

also another note. even if your pillow fabric started out as a rectangle, remember it will bulge out in the middle. Make sure some of your middle segments are wider than the end segments.

pillow4.jpg

pillow5.jpg

I've been working on drawing a victorian bed. Bed I can't think of a way to draw sheets that drape over the side of the bed. Does anybody have any suggestions?

-Thanks in advance

I would probably draw it as a lofted surface. Draw lines instead of cross sections like above(or you can draw closed sections and make it a solid), then just have guide curves. It really depends on how "messy" it needs to be. Most made up beds are pretty smooth with just a few wrinkles.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I found this forum when typing "how to make a pillow" in google, because my boss ask me to make a chair with pillow for accessories. I am really amaze with all of you have done with creating pillow as above posts. Would someone could explain to me how is the step to make that kind of pillow? What kind of command I should use?

thanks in advanced.