How to change scale in Autocad07

andi blinco

Hi All,

Need help please using Autocad 2007.

If I have drawing that was drawn in scale 1:1250 in model space but I want to show this in paper space as scale 1:500 the dwg will obviously be tiny.

How do I change the scale in model space so that it can be presented in paper space fitting the page at scale 1:500 on size A1?

Is there a calculation I need to change the model space dwg? If so can anyone help?

Thankyou all

:cry:

Firstly, welcome to CADTutor andi.

Select everything in modelspace and use the SCALE command to scale everything back up to 1:1 (a scale factor of 1250 in this case)

This is how all objects should be drawn in modelspace, at 1:1. Don't let anyone tell you any different ;-)

Now you can create a viewport in your layout and set the scale to 1:500.

Hi,

I've now done this so dwg is at 1:1 scale.

When I create Viewport and set to 1:500 scale the dwg is really small, so I'm thinking something is not right with my model space dwg.

I may be wrong but even though the dwg is now set to 1:1 scale it was originally drawn to scale 1:1250 and I had this copied over to cad (its a bit messy), does this make a difference.

Thanks again

Hi,

Sort of I copied this drg over from a in house application so I suppose it more or less is sort of a pdf file but you can completeley edit and change the dwg in cad.

Thanks

Andi

I should of mentioned this file is a dxf file which was already drawn to scale 1:1250.

All i'm trying to do is show this in view port as scale 1:500 without the dwg being tiny on the vp? Do I need to enlarge the 1:1250 dwg I have so that my vp will fit 1:500 scale?

Thanks again

yeah, (Save a backup incase this doesn't work)

Type in SCALE then select everything you need to enlarge, press enter, select a base point (0,0 best) then type in 1250.

Then go to your layout tab and set viewport to 1:500

-------------------------

Other method

Type in SCALE then select everything you need to enlarge, press enter, select a base point (0,0 best) then type in RE and press enter, then type in 1 and press enter, then put in 1250

Then go to your layout tab and set viewport to 1:500

I had a student once that had something similar happen. When I checked the square footage on his house it was 22,500 sq.ft. instead of 2250....lol. Ole scale command bit him.

Good point here, what skipsophrenic said works but I am not very confident that the original scale is 1:1250 as it says from its source.

I have got this to fit now but I think you are correct in saying the original dwg is not 1:1250 as I have had to enlarge it so I can fit 1:500 on A1.

Thanks for all the postings on this from all, this is a very usefull forum indeed and I will be coming back.

• 2 years later...

I have a same kind of problem, I have got a drawing that has a really big sizes, I can scale the whole map but there are some points in doing so!

1. you should work out all the dimension scales so they fit in your new scale

2. you should reset snap and grid spacings so you can work

3. you should change all of your text styles

I have attached a map which has a problem like this, I changed the dimension scale so I can measure things but when I want to measure area of the polylines on left I got huge numbers, when I scale the whole map with 0.0001 you can't move your mouse, and texts everything becomes so big. What should I do to this map? change everything manually?

http://ifile.it/12lz3gh

Model space objects should be drawn at FULL size and not SCALED. Your text/dimensions should be done using Annotative Scaling. This will require you to use a paper space layout and at least one viewport as well.

Yes I know that, but it seems that customers who give in draws don't know it! when someone gives a draw which is like the one I attached what do you do to fix things up? I need measuring areas but they all need to be scaled and when you scale the whole map you can't use some stuff like snap to grid, this is sooo annoying to me, I just wanna kill this kind of customers

I'm not sure what the reference to snap and grid is all about.

I did not download your file because I don't trust sites like that. Sorry.

Put the model space objects back to full size. Take the text and dimensions and using the Change Space command move them to your layout.

Make sure you have enabled "Make dimensions associative". When measuring or dimensioning in your layout use Osnaps and pick you geometry.