Suppress the read-only notice when opening read-only files?

DrewS

Does anyone know of anyway to suppress the read-only notification in AutoCAD when opening files from a read-only location? We have a few thousand AutoCAD files on our server is a read-only folder and we are presently needing to go through many of them, but we'd like to turn off the dialog box that asks if we want to open the file "read-only"? I

I'm already aware of the option in the File Open dialog box to choose Read-only, but I don't want to even do that step. I'd like a way to make it completely transparent to the end user, even if it meant creating a custom command bar button for opening read-only.

Thanks for your help!

You can select multiple files - right click over them and de-select the read only that way. Does that help?? :D

then whe you open the drawings you will not get a notice. Then when finished you can just select them all again and click read only.!!

Thanks for the suggestion on opening several at once. That would actually provide some relief, but I'd still prefer the ultimate solution if I can find it.

Could you use a batch file to remove the read-only attribute and then another batch file to restore it? Maybe it could be incorporated in a macro?

we have had this problem in teh past trying to open files off CD (where you can't override the RO flag). I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I can remember what we used to do.

a script may be suitable here. It may be a matter of turning off the dialogue box (would you believe FILEDIA=0) and automatically supply the "OK". I won't be able to look until tomorrow at the earliest though.

It may be a matter of turning off the dialogue box (would you believe FILEDIA=0) and automatically supply the "OK".

A simple answer revolving around FILEDIA=0!

:wacko: :shock: :wacko: MADNESS!!!:wacko: :shock: :wacko:

In the good old DOS days the command attrib was used to clear or set the read-only file attribute. The parameter was [drive:][path]filename.

-r would clear the read-only file attribute while +r would reset it.

So, for example, to clear the read-only attribute of an entire folder of AutoCAD drawings (.dwg) we would have typed:

attrib -r c:\projects\2009_001\*.dwg

To reset the read-only attribute we would have typed:

attrib +r c:\projects\2009_001\*.dwg

Note: projects is the main directory; 2009_001 is a subdirectory in this example. The is a wildcard.

Adding the /s switch at the end of each line would have processed files not only in the main directory (folder) but its subdirectories (subfolders) as well.

All this could be done using two batch (.bat) files.

Pretty simple, right?

simple but won't always work. If the administrator has set a folder to RO you still can't open anything in anything other than RO mode - irrespective of the RO attribute - at least that is how our network is set up. Also, I have never been able to remove the RO attribute from a CD. Your OS may work differently.

ok, here is a script file. save the text as a script file (open_ro.scr) and activate with the SCRIPT command.

[size=2]
filedia
open
~
y
filedia
[/size]

or as a LISP file

(DEFUN C:OPEN_RO()
(SETVAR "filedia" 0)
(COMMAND "open" "~" "Y")
(SETVAR "filedia" 1)
(PRINC)
)

I will have to leave finishing this to somebody else - FILEDIA isn't reset to 1 on mine. :)