Guitar surfacing need help

davesills

Hello everyone. I have a guitar template made in acad that was made with a handle cut out. I now need the handle cut out removed but i don't have the surfacing knowledge to do this.

Here are some pix's.

home.comcast.net/~dsilwanowicz1/fix.JPG

home.comcast.net/~dsilwanowicz1/fix1.JPG

home.comcast.net/~dsilwanowicz1/fix3.JPG

If your interested or if you could help me with this thank you very much.

thanks dave

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davesills

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• BenE

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You basically want to get rid of the cut out?

One option would be to try using the Move Faces command (Solids Editting) and selecting the cutout move it off the face of the handle. It should disappear.

Another option would be to literally "fill in" the cutout with the "positive" of the shape. Then union this shape to the handle and it all should appear as one object.

Hope I understood you correctly. If I didn't please tell me where I went wrong. Thanks.

Thanks for the help. I'm just trying to fill in the cut out of the handle. I'm used to parametric modeling but i'll give it a go. Maybe you could explain a little more detailed for me.

Thanks

Dave

The three options you have are 1) Redraw the handle from scratch without the "cut out", 2) somehow fill in the "cut out" with a solid that exactly duplicates its size and depth or 3) somehow "move" the "edges" of the "cut out" completely off the face of the solid (in essence the cut out with disappear).

The three options you have are 1) Redraw the handle from scratch without the "cut out", 2) somehow fill in the "cut out" with a solid that exactly duplicates its size and depth or 3) somehow "move" the "edges" of the "cut out" completely off the face of the solid (in essence the cut out with disappear).

Luminous Being, ReMark?? Congratulations on the upgrade from deity. :D

Ahhhh......Dave......thanks for the new info.

BenE: I'm really aiming for the whole Semi-Transparent Being category. Then I can make like Casper the Friendly Ghost and float through walls. Thanks.

I stand by one of my original suggestions and that is "fill in" any holes created purposely (like the cut out) or left over when another portion of the guitar was removed (like the handle). Seems pretty self explanatory.

Example: If you had a 1" diameter hole through a block of wood and you wanted to eliminate it you could make a 1" diameter plug to fill the hole (obviously the depths must match). Then union the block of wood and the plug. Done.

Does this help at all?

Example: If you had a 1" diameter hole through a block of wood and you wanted to eliminate it you could make a 1" diameter plug to fill the hole (obviously the depths must match). Then union the block of wood and the plug. Done.

That sounds like an awful lot of work to plug a hole.

Simply solidedit delete face and the hole is plugged.

JDM: That was one of my first suggestions (of three) but I called it Move Faces. I may have used the incorrect terminology. The OP did not pick up on the command however. I guess I got a bit long winded. I was trying to demonstrate another alternative. I agree with your suggestion 100%.

Can i send it to some one to help me.

In Windows Explorer right click on the filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Then respond to this thread and click Manage Attachments - select the resulting *.zip file created from above instructions.

zip.jpg