Please help: multiple layers and line thicknesses for a dynamic block

bosshoss

I'm looking to create a dynamic block that has the capabilities to select multiple layers and thicknesses to it, I'm using AutoCAD 2008. I work as an electrical draftsperson working with designing and drafting substations, and can't seem to figure out how to do this. I deal with tons of different voltages and they all are represented with different thicknesses in our single line diagrams.

I think I understand the way the visibility parameters work, so I was able to create a dynamic block to accomplish the different thicknesses.

What I want to know is how to associate each visibility parameter with a specific layer. In the block editor there doesn't seem to be an option to assign a layer to each parameter. I have attached the block to this post. This block has only 2 thicknesses, but there will be more as soon as I can figure out the layer issue I'm having.

I hope someone can help me or guide me to a thread or post where this has been discussed.

Someone was telling me that AutoCAD 2010 works way better with dynamic blocks, but we won't be getting it for a while.

dynamic_CT_example.dwg

If I understand what you are asking, currently there is no way to attach a layer to a visibility parameter. I'll have a look at your exxample and see if I understand more.

I'm not too familiar with what you mean with "hard coding", our practice here is to not use layer 0, so yes, you're right about that. This is a basic start, but I wanted to see about the layer deal before going ahead.

Can you please explain what you mean about "hard coding"?

thanks for replying, I'm a little stumped here. I've been at this for a while.

thanks Attila, definitely appreciated. I was hoping I didn't have to do it that way, but it looks like that's the only option. I was hoping that when selecting high voltage that the layer would automatically change to the high voltage layer. Oh well. Looks like I have some work ahead of me....hahaha

thanks for the help everyone.

awesome!!....that's what I'm looking for. Where did you find out how to do that? I need to do that to a ton of blocks. I noticed when I select and highlight the block, that layer info in the layer tool bar still reads 0. I'm thinking that doesn't matter, because this is working fine, but just curious.

awesome!!....that's what I'm looking for. Where did you find out how to do that? I need to do that to a ton of blocks. I noticed when I select and highlight the block, that layer info in the layer tool bar still reads 0. I'm thinking that doesn't matter, because this is working fine, but just curious.

I use these sorts of blocks to as I draw electrical to, I told you in the previeuse post that the layer 0 is the problem but that realy doesnt mater because its obvieose wich layer there on!

Also U have to be careful when you make blocks like this!

Make sure you add the right text and layer to the right items, in the right visibility set.

Editing your blocks after inserting them in your drawing usually creates conflicts if you don't do a 'attsync' on the edited block.

good luck on the block making and don't hesitate to ask.

thanks for the tip. As I'm going through this, there might be questions, but now I can at least move forward.

Lots of knowledge here all over CADtutor forum and its users so don't worry you won't be left in the cold!

I'm not too familiar with what you mean with "hard coding", our practice here is to not use layer 0, so yes, you're right about that. This is a basic start, but I wanted to see about the layer deal before going ahead.

Can you please explain what you mean about "hard coding"?

thanks for replying, I'm a little stumped here. I've been at this for a while.

I see AtG has been helping and I haven't had time to look at what he has done so what I meant....

Normally blocks should be defined on layer 0. This gives you the option of moving them to a layer of your choice at which point they will inherit that layer's properties (if everything is set "ByLayer").

You can also define parts already on assigned layers. For example, you standard may say that ALL TEXT MUST be on Layer Text then you should put all your text within the block on layer Text. You should still create the rest of the block on layer 0.

In my sample I created 2 layers and put each symbol on its own layer. You still need to use the visibility state but the LINES (not the block) are on their defined layer.