import site plan from google earth

FIFTHTEXAS

trying to import a google earth image of a site plan building, road layout into autocad. can anyone tell me best method. i know you can iport g.e. to sketchup which will import at 1:1 scale and a north view. how can i do this in autocad. want to import image and trace around g.e. sit plan to produce site plan drawing.

only way i have done this so far is to put it into paint and make a bitmap image and copy paste to autocad. however this does not come out 1:1 scale.

i then have to scale the image up to correct scale which i find a hit and miss operation can get it near enough. is there any other way?

is it possible to import the image from sketchup top cad which i then know will be to correct scale. can anyone give me step procedures etc.

many thanks

fifthtexas

yes it is photographic images, can export to sketchup to build 3d models.

are there any alternatives i could use, ie maps just looking for various sites to cad to use to show external services to building.

any ideas i could use? have the xref of a building plan but not the site plan so need to create one. any help would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

The cost is not yet on their site. I wonder what they'll charge.

Another way would be to use Map 3d if you don't need the functionality of Civil 3d (which has Map 3d included). You can then find free gis data from the USGS site or any number of other sites that have gis data. Some are free. Some are not. You import imagery with Map and it will fall right into place. A little more involved than importing from Google Earth, but still works. In Civil 3d you can create your tin model and then drape the imagery on it.

Hi rustysilo!

Did you tested the evaluation version of Plex.Earth?

In 2-3 days the cost will be there but fifthtexas would do his work with the evaluation version.

What you say is one solution but as you say is a little more involved than importing from Google Earth.

With Plex.Earth i covered an area of 12 km2 with 100 Google Earth COLOR images from the view height of 500 m (to achieve the image quality i needed) in less than 30 minutes...!!! It's not other way to do the above without that tool!! Oh, i forgot to say... that was in the simple AutoCAD edition with no use of Map or Civil 3D!

Yeah using Map it would involve the step of finding your data on a GIS site, then downloading it. After that it's just a matter of attaching the imagery. Very easy. Just one extra step.

In Civil 3d I do this from time to time as it falls into place properly within whatever coordinate zone you are working in. Same with importing from Google Earth into Civil 3d.

• 1 month later...