A bit rusty on AutoCAD - need some standards

Jez(UK)

Hello everyone,

Bit of a long story but I'll do my best to keep it short.

I used to use AutoCAD R14, along with Architectural Desktop and used to do a almost all my work in 3D (late 1990's).

I worked with some amazingly talented CAD guys who really left me standing (I came from a Computing background and they'd been doing it for years, they were blindingly fast and always left me for dust).

Anyway, cut a long story short, I moved into 3D Studio, did that for a long time and now I'm getting back into CAD.

So that's a break from AutoCAD of about 7 years at least.

Only this time, I'm a freelancer and people are asking me to do site surveys and put building shells onto CAD, then put alterations on those shells, annotate them, put dimensions on, text etc etc.

My problem is that I haven't used CAD in a long time and I cannot remember good standard practices.

I've done a few drawings, my clients are happy, but I know that there is a lot involved in making a drawing 'look' right.

So, for the last few months, I've been getting away with using AutoCAD LT 2009 on a trial basis (jumping from one machine to another every 30days), but I'm going to bite the bullet and order my own copy later this week (previous to that I was on LT 2000i :cry:)

Anyway, I need guidance on Standards and am looking for some pointers from this site.

For example,

What size text should be for different drawing sizes and scale types,

How far text annotation should be from the actual drawing details,

Line thicknesses for different elements of a drawing (i.e. existing walls, new partitions etc).

Really it's the text sizes that are my first stumbling block.

Are there any training courses i could attend that would give me these skills.

Or perhaps there are some really useful books on good drawing standards.

(I do remember my last place where I used AutoCAD, back in 1999 each cad person kept a standards folder with drawing standards and what title blocks to use for particular drawing types etc etc - I wish I kept a copy before I left !)

I'm kindof okay with AutoCAD LT 2009 software wise (though to help me, I switch to classic view because the ribbon thing is just too new for me at the moment coming from LT 2000i).

Maybe next year I'll upgrade the LT I'm getting to AutoCAD Architecture (I'm hoping they'll be some good deals again by then), but for now all my freelance work is just in 2D.

Please can someone help ??

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Regards,

Jez

P.S. back in 1990's I did do about 5 different City and Guilds in AutoCAD, can't remember a lot of it but did cover almost everything about AutoCAD.

Hello Maxwell,

And thank you for your assistance.

Yes I am aware of these BS ISO standards but there are so many of them, I bought a couple I thought would be useful but I'm the sort of person that 'needs' the lot but the expense is a lot.

I'll take another look - but please can you guys keep the ideas coming, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jez

Well, personally....I can't as I've never done work for a company in the UK, and I don't work with metric units. Generally though, "standards" can vary from company to company as legacy becomes an issue. Or to put it more simply, "Well this is how WE do it." If you are freelancing, I'd make sure you are ready to shift some of your "standards" to a particular company's as the need arises. This can be done most simply by always drawing full scale in the model space and keeping annotations to your layout space where they can be easily edited without affecting the drawing. Since paperspace was introduced with 2000, you may not have used it much. Check out this tutorial for more information. Some other tutorials you should check out are Setting up annotative objects, working with multileaders, and probably the biggest change to 2009...customizing the ribbon.

I hope this helps :)

Hi,

Like Maxwell suggests, standards are pretty much up to the company you are working for. We also have the general rule that the drawing must be readable after is has been faxed and wetted (the usual procedure for UK Building Contractors).

This document might be of use: If so, let me know and I'll try and get the full document to you.

Thanks to both Maxwell and to A1DWG,

Yes I do use PS for titleblocks and stuff like that.

I'll take a look at the tutorials you suggest later on, I'm sure they'll help.

Yes, this week I've started using the Ribbon (as this sort of thing is also in Office 2007 so I've bitten the bullet). Not so bad after all.

Annotative objects is new to me, so that will need a good look at.

A1DWG, yes please if you could let me have a look at the whole document, looks useful. Thank you.

Best regards,

Jez

Thanks to both Maxwell and to A1DWG,

A1DWG, yes please if you could let me have a look at the whole document, looks useful. Thank you.

Best regards,

Jez

Jez,

I can either print and post a page at a time, or private mail me with your contact details (email address).

Actually A1DWG, could you take a look at my other post in "Software and Licensing" I'd appreciate your thoughts seeing as you are also in the UK (you too Maxwell if you like !)

No option to send private message

Not sure, do you need to set your options to send / receive private messages? I cant send to you as your option is not set, but I can send to others.