Routine to generate layouts based on rectangles in a larger drawing

ABuckingham

I hope this is easier then it sounds.

I have a large drawing of a piece of land of which I have to generate a number of layouts based on some rectangles I've placed in the drawing. Each rectangle represents the area I want the viewport to cover, and all the rectangles are on a unique layer. I'm going to be using the overall drawing as a sort of legend for the detail drawings. However I have a lot of them, and they are not all oriented the same way. I have one layout done, and would simply like to copy it and have the viewports updated based on the rectangles.

Easy? Hard? Impossible? Silly?

I'd be grateful for any help.

Well, one can make a LISP to convert these rectangles into viewports (of course this can easily be done manually), but as for the scale factor of the each viewport - it would be very "drawing-specific".

I hope I have understood what you would like to accomplish, but if not, please correct me :)

If you array your vport then Zoom E then Zoom C (centre) pick approx lot then a scale, it will set that view. Do one set its plot scale correct and it will give you the zoom c scale. You can set the UCS individually in each vport allowing a change in the displayed rotation of the lot.

As lee Mac says you could do a generate a vport pick the diagonal corners of your rectangle gives centre point then zoom c automatically, it may take longer to write a program than actually do it manually, as I have suggested you do not need to draw the rectangle saving a step.

If you have to repeat this over and over then yes invest the time to write a program.

similar thread here:

http://forums.cadalyst.com/showthread.php?t=6124&highlight=tabsheet

this could be the start for your request, here is the latest file of tabsheet.lsp with fellow lispers great codes (from cab and t.wiley) but program is still very dirty, attached also is a sample drawing where you can run it. before running tabsheet, copyclip everything on draft layout except for viewport. im always wanting to update this but always lacking of time for rotating sheets, maybe someone here could lend a hand.

TABSHEET.zip

• 3 years later...