Revit MEP SD, DD, CD Phases - What do you show?

mcklem

Revit MEP USERS

What levels of Detail are people providing in the different phases of construction while using revit? Would it make sense to show drawings at a course view for SD and DD phase (sd - schematic design, dd - design development cd - construction documents) and then use Fine view for things like Construction Documents and 3d Views?

Just wondering what others have produced and how they have achieved doing so.

Thanks in advance...

well, you definitely need Construction Documents. That's a must. As far as design development, I wouldn't know why you would need to show "phases" in your design, but we don't. And schematics should only come if needed, or if there is a reason to provide greater detail for layouts (typically good for Riser Details, Piping, etc. but not for ductwork or electrical).

Now, as revisions come along, then yes, obviously you would want to mark the changes. And also, you can import *.DWG files into Revit for detailing and typical schematics that you have already created, or things that would be easier to make in AutoCAD, so you still have a cushion for extra information in this area. :)

i get that part, what i meant was.... when a project is started there are different levels of the design process - SD, DD, and CD. On larger jobs we issue sets of drawings at each stage. i.e

SD - usually shows general equipment layouts, major piping/duct runs/branches

DD - elobarates what was shown in SD plus some more detail as to layout/details/ notes etc.

CD - final construction drawings - all notes shown piping runs and drops to fixtures or placement of air terminals etc.

So i was wondering how others used REVIT MEP and what settings or procedures they go thru (if any) for each stage, like if they define there systems in SD or in DD....do they connect to fixtures in DD or in CD etc.

Sorry if this confuses anyone

Thanks again in advance.

No, its not confusing, its just that here at my company we don't show "design development" at all. We start a job from scratch, we finish it, we release plans.

The only thing we'll do is if say, we have all of our Equipment and Rooftop Units laid out then we'll release those files for coordination. Or the same thing with major ductruns. But we don't document it at all. Honestly, that would be nice for some trades, but a waste of time on our part. Thats what the General Contractor is for... to make sure all the phases of the job is going smoothly and by his schedule. :)

Sorry I couldn't help, we just don't get that far into a design project.

well when your working for an architect on large schools or lab buildings or librabrarys hospitals etc.... or at least every job we do there is a structured way of going through the design process with the architect and owner. now certainly this doesn't apply to our small ti jobs but for the bigger ones it matters.

but thanks