Select all objects in a single layer: how?

Sudan

Newbie here.

I have a drawing with 6 layers. In two of those layers I want to delete all objects.

Is there a simple/single command way to select all objects in a single specified layer and NOT select any objects in any other layer? After selecting them I'll delete the objects. I know how to select each object by clicking on it or by making a window around the objects.

Conversely is there simply a way to tell layer to be "empty"? I.e. a way to delete all objects in a layer without first selecting each object in that layer?

Thanks.

The QSELECT command allows you to quickly select objects based on search filters. To select by layers, set it to match the screen shot below.

QSELECT.jpg

Simply select the layer you want to filter for from the Value drop down (Currently specified as 0).

LAYISO command

Lock all layers ( or freeze) except the one using properties manager.

Also, DELAYR command for deleting a layer and everything on it.

• 6 years later...

This is all still very helpful info in 2015! I knew about isolating layers but I had never used the QSELECT command until today. 10 year Architectural Designer and CADD Drafter. LOL....

Now what would make the command more helpful is if people would put stuff on the correct layers... For my own drawings QSELECT is pretty powerful. But it appears for other people's drawings, not so much.

People have a tendency to keep everything on one layer. Drives me crazy.

-ChriS

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. LAYDEL does exactly what the OP was asking, but I'm not sure if it was available then...

I suspect that, as rkent suggested it in 2009, it was likely available in 2009, but that the alias may have been DELAYR.

ammobake, if you liked that, you might also like to know about (if you don't already) LAYWALK for Layer Walk, which lets you scroll through your layers using your keyboard cursors, or saved filters, or just on the fly. Lots of good stuff on the LAYERS 2 toolbar.

Edited by Dadgad

I'm definately gonna check that out Dadgad! Yesterday I redid all my toolbars and decided to add the second layers bar. Definately liking the layer isolation button. I've been used to using the layer manager for that.

"Layer match" button looks cool too but a few years ago I discovered "MATCHPROP" command and my life has been different ever since! Works for hatches, text, dimensions, 3dsolids, everything I've tried it on.

-ChriS