Managing layers.

eshhy

Hi,

I just set up my plot styles in autocad. Now I'm at the stage where I slowly build up my layers list as I draft. The only problem is when I add some layers on one dwg, I have to add them on another. The reason I'm doing it this way is because I can't think of them all on the spot, but rather when I need that specific layer I'll add it.

My question is.. Is there any easier way to go about this? I'm guessing it would involve something to do with the template or blocks.

Hopefuly I can get your opinions on this from you all, or any experiences you may have had with this type of situation.

Ps. what are your views on AutoCAD 2009 Ribbon? I didn't bother using it and switched back to my standard setup.

Thanks

Nathan

For me, when I create a new drawing I choose file - new, and navigate to the folder where a similar job to the new job is stored.

All of my layers/symbols etc.. etc.. are there.

You could be really organised and create template files, then use these each time you create a new file.

As for the ribbon, I love it. Heaps more space. I use keyboard shortcuts for 90% of my commands though, and I think if I was having to wait for the ribbon to drop down before I could do most things I get a bit frustrated.

if you have a set of common layers you should put them in your template. OPEN (change dwg for dwt) and you will be shown all the base templates on your machine. Open acad.dwt for imperial or acadiso.dwt for metric and make ALL the changes you need. Set up your layers, dimstyles, text styles, (some) variables etc. anything you change regularly. Save the dwt file and forget it. Next time you start a new drawing your layers and other things will be there already.

Hi,

I just set up my plot styles in autocad. Now I'm at the stage where I slowly build up my layers list as I draft. The only problem is when I add some layers on one dwg, I have to add them on another. Nathan

Becuase you are seting up as you work you may not be able to use pre set template at this stage. Keep a blank template drawing open & when you need to add layer. add it there & than bring it in your drawing using design center. that way when you open other drawings of the project you can simply add all the new layers from design center. this way you can update your template as you work & also the current set of drawings.

@dbroada and Dipali

Your responses made a lot of sense. I can't believe I didn't think of it myself. anyways thanks for your help!

@hay123

Ribbon didn't too good when i saw it. But I agree with what your saying about keyboard shortcuts. I use 'f1' and 'f2' as 'move' and 'copy selection', which suffices for me (big time).

Thanks for you input all.

Nathan

But I agree with what your saying about keyboard shortcuts. I use 'f1' and 'f2' as 'move' and 'copy selection', which suffices for me (big time).

you do know you can just type M for move don't you?

If you have expresss tools look under Express|Tools|Command Alias Editor (at least that's where it is on 2008 ) you will see the set of shortcuts that comes with AutoCAD. You can change them here if you want to.

you do know you can just type M for move don't you?

True, but it's M+Enter, I believe.

If you bind it in the CUI its just one key only. Anyways, I'm really used to it now.

I guess while we are on the topic do you (or anyone else) know some good efficiency tips or tricks?

Could create a block utilising all your layers. All you then need to do is insert it.

Yeh! I used to do it at my old work, but i didn't know how they did it in the first place. Care to shed some light on how its done?

Could create a block utilising all your layers. All you then need to do is insert it.

but you don't even have to do that if you set it up in your dwt files

Yeh! I used to do it at my old work, but i didn't know how they did it in the first place. Care to shed some light on how its done?

create a block containing your layers but nothing else and save it in a pathed folder. Either -INSERT and plonk it somewhere or -INSERT and plonk it somewhere. The first will add all your layers and leave the block in the drawing, the *version will just bring in the layers.