Measure Deformation

jinda

I made a C shape and did the FEA in Autodesk Inventor Simulation 2009. I see that it shows the color chart deformation but I wound like other dimensions. How or can I measure loacations where I want.

Later JeReMy

on the design tree, bottom left, you should be able to click on one of the 4(i think) color bar charts. It will show you max deformation according to the chart. This is it as far as i know. What are you looking to measure specifically?

I think you are expecting too much precision for FEA. The colors indicate approximate amount.

So don't use it and stick with hand calculations?:)

I have an "L" shape fixed at the long end. Load on the short end, parallel with the long end. I want to use the part in an assembly deformed. If I new more dims like the angle the long end is at I be all set.

So far the FEA is pointless It doesn't work on assemblies with different materials. Only parts but you can't use them in an assembly.

This is like the Bolted Connection it's mostly 95% useless.:)

Later JeReMy

i believe you are mistaken jinda. You can use your assembly in the dynamic simulation and output a part of your assembly at any time during the simulation to FEA.

Why do you want to use a deformed part in your assembly?

Look into dynamic simulation application. I think you will find when used correctly it is very powerful.

Sounds to me like you need more training.

100% correct. So I am asking the wrong question.

I believe you are mistaken jinda. You can use your assembly in the dynamic simulation and output a part of your assembly at any time during the simulation to FEA.

Let's say I have a Rectangle tube A500 B 12 in long. It can hold X lb.

FEA will tell me that. Say I fill that pipe with a solid bar of steel A514.

can FEA tell me what it will hold now?

Will dynamic simulation help there are no dynamic's?

Why do you want to use a deformed part in your assembly?

To see if the deformed part doesn't interfere with anything.

Look into dynamic simulation application. I think you will find when used correctly it is very powerful.

Thanks, where do I start leaning dynamic simulation?

Later JeReMy

well if there are no moving parts then a deformed bracket shoudnt interfere right?

I am by no means an expert with this stuff but in dynamic simulation there are welded joints, you can apply forces, torques etc and run the simulation. I do not know if you can select multiple entities to export to fea(i dont think so) but you can select a component and export it based on what the model does. I believe this is what you are looking for.

The first time you go to applications and start the dynamic simulation it will prompt you to open the tutorials. Thats a good place to start.

I havent done exactly what you are asking but believe the dynamic simulation is the starting point you need.

Thanks, where do I start leaning dynamic simulation?

http://store.autodesk.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=adsk&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&productID=105089300

but Dynamic Simulation will not help in this case.

The Ansys freebee solver within Inventor is limited - kind of a teaser to get you to purchase the full version. With the aquistion of Plassotech assembly FEA possible http://labs.autodesk.com/technologies/advanced_simulation/

and now Autodesk has aquired Algor.

JD. wont he be able to say apply a load to the outer tube and than export the inner top with the motion loads to the stress analysis? This works for dynamic assemblies and i have never used the weld constraint in the dynamic simulation but i thought this is what it was used for, am i wrong? I know it wont analyze two parts at once but if all the joints are setup properly wouldnt it transmit the load?