dynamic block insertion point

michaeloureiro

hey all,

i just made my first tool pallete i can´t seem to insert my dynamic blocks from its original origin point. I checked the unit settings and they´re all the same.

can anybody help, my blocks are all over the place,

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• michaeloureiro

• dbroada

• MaxwellEdison

• ReMark

you can either add a "point" (I think) parameter to your block or you can move all the geometry when in BEDIT to 0,0 (or #0,0 if using dyn input) which will become your insertion point iyswim.

If you are doing this in a palette you should change the block within the source drawing first. There may be a further step needed to update them in your current destination drawing but we can tackle that later if needed.

Is the dynamic block "nested" within another block?If the dynamic block was saved in a seperate file, the block will be inserted based on that file's origin point and not the block's. This may not be immediately noticeable if you are set to explode blocks upon insertion.

Use the BASE command to redefine the insertion point of your block.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2896749&linkID=9240817

I think that is more appropriate when you define the block as an external file. It can be used to "correct" WBLOCKs that didn't have a sensible base point defined. However it is not really relevant for blocks within a drawing as BASE is global to the drawing. If you have a collection of blocks all with odd base points you won't be able to correct them in one hit.

the point parameter isn´t working either.

It seems to be workinking if i set the insertiion point in the block dialogue box, that means i`ll have to redraw all my blocks!!....

I click the Title Bar of the object I'm capturing and use Alt+PrntScrn. Then I open up paint and paste, immediately select Edit->Copy To... and save it as temp.bmp (this takes care of cropping Pain'ts default drawing size). Then I open temp.bmp and save as a jpeg and add it to PhotoBucket. Once uploaded there you can click the IMG Code section and then just paste that into the body of your forum post. Seems complex, but I get one added within 2 minutes.

Open the block in the block editor.

On the parameters tab at the very bottom of the list is a "Base Point Parameter".

Add this, include it in the selection set for the dynamic actions that would require the base point to alter, e.g. stretching linework that intersects the base point; you will have redefine those actions and re-save the block.

For a far better description check out the tutorial on Ellen Finkelsteins website on how to make a dynamic block of (guess what) a architectural door symbol.

If you don't fancy all that, explode the block to linework, purge the block from the drawing and redefine. I always get weird base point problems when I explode then redefine a block without purging first.

cheers

I click the Title Bar of the object I'm capturing and use Alt+PrntScrn. Then I open up paint and paste, immediately select Edit->Copy To... and save it as temp.bmp (this takes care of cropping Pain'ts default drawing size). Then I open temp.bmp and save as a jpeg and add it to PhotoBucket. Once uploaded there you can click the IMG Code section and then just paste that into the body of your forum post. Seems complex, but I get one added within 2 minutes.

thanks for the tip maxwelledison

doove,

the basepoint parameter is screwing up my drawing and the base command isn´t working either, it looks like i have to start over