Surface building and exporting into a data collector

Adler38

Hello to all. I am fairly new into working with surfaces and exporting to work with my TDS data collector. I know how to make a surface, but the data collector needs to read a .dtm file. This is where I am confused as I have looked and do not see a .dtm extension in Autocad.

Also, if anyone does data prep for machine control, I would love to get some advice from you and know where some good training is.

Thank you

Hi Adler38,

first I would need to know what program do you use, because if it is C3D, you are lost because .dtm files were created by Land Desktop. If you are using LDD, well those files are located in the Folder named DTM of the projet folder. For example: [insert project number or name]\DTM\[insert surface name].dtm.

Hope this is helpful.

I am starting to use Civil 3D, but also have the Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion. I will try to use that to see if that works.

Thank you

You might search around on civil3d.com or theswamp.org. I know I've seen info on it somewhere, but have no experience with it. There are guys at theswamp.org who do for sure.

Yeah, with the Land Desktop Companion you might find a way to export you surface to a .dtm file, you may check if there nothing for you to do with .xml files, just an idea like this...

Good Luck

Or this .dxf to .dtm tool might work. Just get your 3d faces from your model and save them out in their own .dxf file. Then convert.:)

Then again... it doesn't download. Appears their link is bad or the file is no longer available.