hiding a pipe under a slab

dumfatnhappy

Not as simple as it sounds.. what I want to happen is for a pipe to show up as a hidden line whilst under a slab, face, etc. I converted a solid (slab) into an MVPart but it will not show a pipe as hidden if it is under it. Is this making any sense?

bottom line is how do you get a pipe to show up under something other than another pipe (but just like it...i.e. hidden line)

??

:?

I have tried drawing a slab from the design pulldown and had no luck. Same with the structural members.

same with *everything* I'm afraid..... I did see in an acad discussion (group) someone claims to have made it work. I cannot replicate it to save my life....

:?

thanks for the response

We have had a good bit of luck drawing the steel on a job in the structural members section and then using that along with the collision detection (NOT interference detection) when we coordinate a job.

Check out this video on showing hidden lines under slabs and equipment....it may or may not be what you are looking for but it works for me........

GB, this is exACTLY what I need to do, problem is I tried all day (at work) to get it to happen (this way)but no joy (2008 MEP)

I'm about to try it here at home (office) on 2009 to see if that's the problem..

thanks a million!

• 2 years later...

Hope this helps, after following the video. The only thing left to do is to edit the object dispplay of the pipe or duct you want to see hidden under the slab. Click on the pipe or duct, check the plan in object override then change the countour-hidden linetype to hidden2. Click ok and check out the pipe or duct and it is drawin in hidden lines. If still you can not view it as dash lines, type lts in the command line and increase the value from 1 to lets say 12 to 15 and hopefully that works.

Using AMEP 2012, converting a 3D Solid to an MV Part and routing pipe underneath it provides hidden lines right out of the box.

Steven Micaletti

Virtual Mechanical

Design Build Software & Content For AutoCAD MEP

Edited by Tiger
removed adress