SCALE simultaneous on multiple objects but not move them: how?

Newbie here, I'm making a ceramic floor tile design.

Thanks to people on this forum I can perform the scale command on a single object. I now want to scale multiple objects all at once.

My drawing is a chess board, simple grid of 1" squares on layer "CHESS".

At every intersection of each four squares, where their corners meet up, i.e., the lines cross, I have one small decorative hexagon of 1/4" on the side. The center of each of these small 1/4" hexagons is exactly on the intersections of the big 1" squares. All and only these small decorative hexagons are on their own layer "HEXA".

I want to scale the small decorative hexagons from 1/4" on the side down to 1/8" on the side. I was able to QSELECT all the objects in layer HEXA. I was then able to scale down all at once to the correctly desired new size of 1/8" on the side

BUT! (you knew this was coming) The centers of each hexagon moved. Each moved closer to the particular hexagon object that I performed the SCALE command on. It was as if the position of the selected hexagons got scaled too.

I know I can perform SCALE command on each object by itself and get to where I want to be. I just want to know if I can do this on multiple selected objects at once and have the scaled objects maintain their center point after scaled.

Thank you.

May be A LISP can do which I know nothing about.

for this type of situation I usally create a block of the hexagone with center as block insertion point instead of using simple hexagone. & insert it every where and than when I need to resize I can select them thru filter & change the scale in the property, ot simply edit the block & it updates all without moving it.

I personally like and use the block method.

There are several ways to do this. Here's a list.

1. Make the object a block. Redefine block.
  2. Make the object a block. Create selection set using grips. Change X/Y scale factors with properties manager.
  3. Make the object a block. Insert the block using MINSERT. Select the MINSERT array using grips. Change the X/Y scale using properties manager.
  4. Scale them using a lisp program. (Like the one 'ReMark' pointed to can't wait to try it out)
  5. Erase all except one. Change object size. Re-array the object.
  6. Scale each object individually. If neccessary the MULTIPLE command could be used to save a few clicks.

I Stopped at (6).

Are there more, anyone?

Dave

----

"Most of what I know came from the "F1" key"

Would (7.) be the same as (2.) or are you saying there's a way to do this without being a block?

Do I hear an (8.)?

I've only tinkered with them but is there a dynamic block method?

Dave

----

Would (7.) be the same as (2.) or are you saying there's a way to do this without being a block?

Do I hear an (8.)?

I've only tinkered with them but is there a dynamic block method?

Dave

----

I guess so, what is properties manager?

This one isn't really suitable for dynamic blocks. With a dynamic block you create a single block with many variations. You would still need to change them to display how you want. Where they would be good is if the pattern is comprised of (say) 4 different tiles. Then you could tweak each tile individually without affecting all the others.

If they are blocks:

In Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion 2009 I have a command under my Utilities/Edit Menu that is Rescale Blocks/Text. This command scales everything in place by a certain scale factor. I'm just not sure if this a standard AutoCAD command or a LDC command. I'm thinking it may be a LDC command only but not sure. This command is what I use to scale my blocks or text.

dbroada

I should have said "Properties Palette" not "Properties Manager". My bad.

If they are blocks:

In Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion 2009 I have a command under my Utilities/Edit Menu that is Rescale Blocks/Text. This command scales everything in place by a certain scale factor. I'm just not sure if this a standard AutoCAD command or a LDC command. I'm thinking it may be a LDC command only but not sure. This command is what I use to scale my blocks or text.

Jaelin

What command is shown on command line when you run this "Rescale Blocks/Text"?

----

Thank you to everyone. This is a great and very helpful forum.

5.Erase all except one. Change object size. Re-array the object.

This is what I did. It fits in with my current skill level, just above zero. Thanks to everyone for pointing the way. I will next learn about blocks as that seems very promising from the view point of my begining familiarity.

If they are blocks:

I don't know what "Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion 2009" is. But it sounds promising. After teaching myself Blocks, I will refer back to this.

• 1 year later...
Newbie here, I'm making a ceramic floor tile design.

Thanks to people on this forum I can perform the scale command on a single object. I now want to scale multiple objects all at once.

My drawing is a chess board, simple grid of 1" squares on layer "CHESS".

At every intersection of each four squares, where their corners meet up, i.e., the lines cross, I have one small decorative hexagon of 1/4" on the side. The center of each of these small 1/4" hexagons is exactly on the intersections of the big 1" squares. All and only these small decorative hexagons are on their own layer "HEXA".

I want to scale the small decorative hexagons from 1/4" on the side down to 1/8" on the side. I was able to QSELECT all the objects in layer HEXA. I was then able to scale down all at once to the correctly desired new size of 1/8" on the side

BUT! (you knew this was coming) The centers of each hexagon moved. Each moved closer to the particular hexagon object that I performed the SCALE command on. It was as if the position of the selected hexagons got scaled too.

I know I can perform SCALE command on each object by itself and get to where I want to be. I just want to know if I can do this on multiple selected objects at once and have the scaled objects maintain their center point after scaled.

Thank you.

I have one that will let you select a block. then you can either scale all blocks in the drawing in place, or highlight a part of the drawing without isolating and it will scale only that block you want.

but,

without it being a block, this lisp routine would somehow have to determine the center point of all the objects you selected. I just don't see that happening. I pray that someone is smart enough to make this, because I have needed it a few times. Always remember to make blocks!

I have been burned a few times by not doing so!

• 5 years later...

To fix this, I edited the block and moved the center of the block to 0,0. Originally the first attribute (of 4) was at 0,0. Then when I scaled them from 192 to 96 they were all in the right place.