Screw conveyor flights

mdbdesign

I may not have interpreted the problem correctly because I’m not exactly sure what the formula posted above is addressing.

The problem was interesting (via my own interpretation anyway) so this is what I came up with. The Excel spreadsheet seems to jive with some flattened geometry produced with Rhino 3D.

ScrewConveyorWorksheet.zip

All data we got is:

Stack height

# of revolutions

pitch of 1 revolution

OD of stack

We come up with this (previous post) solution but not yet checked in real life.

I got no idea how I will check it before sent to laser cut (SS 316)

How in your template I can input height?

strake.jpg

Thank scj for nice show.

Right now I need somebody to assure me about solution I got (above).

Soon start developing and material price (stainless steel) not really allow for mistake or trial and error.

Based on your drawing, the variables in my spreadsheet should be

Shaft Diameter – 2M

Screw Diameter – 2.4M (2M + 0.2M + 0.2M)

Rise per 1 Revolution – 10M

That is I assume the blade is spanning the full height with one revolution. The new spreadsheet attached includes an additional readout for radius.

The accompanying drawing illustrates the result and if you “List” the properties of the helix they match pretty well with the arc lengths. It would be kind of cool if Jochen could confirm the result with his method.

Beyond that I can’t provide any further assurance. :geek:

ScrwConvey2.zip

Convey.jpg

• 2 years later...

Well I have the same question --- the shaft dia is 10 mm. The outer dia of flight is 27 on four turns and then ending at 40 on the last turn. The pitch is 21.43 mm. I have tried a lot to fabricate it but cannot control the pitch or at times where the two "washers" meet. (I am joining washers with the cuts (degree) and then joining them to get the screw.

Problem 2 - we weld one side but where do we pull the other end from?

Is there any other way to make the screw first and then weld. I am having alot of trouble by welding since its not very neat. I will have to grind and then finish the whole stuff.

Layout plan is appreciated.

Thank youl.

I can’t form a complete picture. Can you post some drawings that help illustrate the situation? How does the conveyor transition from 27 to 40?

• 1 year later...

Since Archimedes first utilised a helical shape for conveying purposes individuals and organisation have attempted to produce formulae and programs to accurately calculate and generate a screw flight blank. Some have had som limited success but nothing has consistently worked all of the time regardless of the type or combination.

That is until now - The following link will take you to a demonstration of a screw flight calculation program that will accurately calculate the cutting size for the blank regardless of the type, shape or complexity. It will also generate a diagram of the shape which can be saved and sent to any cutting program or cutting machine

• 4 years later...
Since Archimedes first utilised a helical shape for conveying purposes individuals and organisation have attempted to produce formulae and programs to accurately calculate and generate a screw flight blank. Some have had som limited success but nothing has consistently worked all of the time regardless of the type or combination.

That is until now - The following link will take you to a demonstration of a screw flight calculation program that will accurately calculate the cutting size for the blank regardless of the type, shape or complexity. It will also generate a diagram of the shape which can be saved and sent to any cutting program or cutting machine

Is there a free version to give it a try?

• 3 years later...
On 23/1/2009 at 18:57, SEANT said:

Es posible que no haya interpretado el problema correctamente porque no estoy exactamente seguro de lo que aborda la fórmula publicada anteriormente.

El problema era interesante (a través de mi propia interpretación de todos modos) así que esto es lo que se me ocurrió. La hoja de cálculo de Excel parece funcionar con cierta geometría aplanada producida con Rhino 3D.

ScrewConveyorWorksheet.zip 89,33 kB · 408 descargas

como esta queria saber de donde saca el valor rise per revolution 59390984831113