File import/export

ojh

We're talking about Inventor 2009 right?

FYI

The following was posted in an AutoDesk Discussion Forum regarding parasolids and Inventor:

"When I do a search for "Parasolids" in the Help module, under Parts and assemblies from other CAD systems, Procedure, Importing Parasolid Files:"

Open and change models created in Parasolid. Autodesk Inventor translates assembly and part files, solids, multi-solids, surfaces, and more. After the import operation is complete, you can change the model as if it was originally created in Autodesk Inventor.

These types of Parasolid files can be imported:

*.x_t (text)

*.x_b (binary)

The OP was told by an Inventor Design Expert that this was definitely not the case and was an error on AutoDesk's part.

I think the person who can best answer this question would be J.D. Mather. Then we'll both have the right answer as I am not a user of Inventor.

By the way, this question should have been posted in the AutoDesk Inventor forum. You're more likely to get responses to questions when they are posted in the correct forum and the heading is a bit more descriptive. I would have used something like Importing/exporting parasolids to/from Inventor.

Thanks ReMark, i did search the AutoDesk help file and could find no referance to a .x_t file. What i am trying to do is download a small block chevy engine drawn in solidworks, i have made a magneto for that engine and would like to upload it into the library. The engine has is in .x_t

I am new here and wasn't aware of an 'inventor' forum, this forum said begginners so...

Let me ask this, does inventor have a bad name within the community, seems people get turned 'off' when i mention that i am working with inventor. Thanks again, oj

No apology necessary. I suggest you just check out all the different forums here at CT.

Inventor, to my knowledge, does not have a bad name within the community that I am aware of. It just happens to be a bit more complex than plain AutoCAD. I see many instances of companies looking for CAD techs with a background in Inventor and I know it is an accepted part of the cirriculum at many colleges and technical schools.

Learn it and be thankful you have one more skill to add to your list of talents when you're done.

Let me ask this, does inventor have a bad name within the community, seems people get turned 'off' when i mention that i am working with inventor. Thanks again, oj

You will need Inventor 2008 or 2009 to translate the *.x_t or b files.

The CAD world is a lot like the Mac vs PC camps or maybe like the Windows vs Linux world. Everyone has their favorite software, computer platforms or Operating Systems.

Because Autodesk is the largest their products, like Microsoft's, are given a lot of flack. The popular sentiment has just about killed Windows Vista, yet I have not had any problems with the OS. Microsoft will have to hastly put out a new OS and then market it as a fix to their own Vista OS.

SolidWorks has a two year lead on Inventor. In reality there is very very little difference between these two CAD programs. I have seen only an handful of people who can even take advantage of the real differences.

If you are a student you might check out the student forum here http://engineersrule.org it has grown to nearly 500,000 members in a very short period of time.

One of the biggest problems I see is that many people do not understand that Autodesk Inventor is not AutoCAD. I see a lot of head hunters and others refer to Inventor as AutoCAD.