How do I save assembly edits back to the part file?

geoffrey

I am starting to get comfortable with inventor 2009. I am working with several parts together in an assembly and I am using the geometry of one

as the basis for edits (via work planes, sketches and extrusion cuts) on the

others. But these edits are not reflected as changes in the parts themselves in their files? Am I wishing for too much? I thought that inventor had 2-way associativity or some such....

If you go to the store and buy two parts, assemble those parts together and then drill a hole between them, would you expect to be able to go to the store and buy those parts with the holes already in them? Almost certainly not.

When you use the assembly features in Inventor, you are editing the assembly not the parts themselves.

I thought that inventor had 2-way associativity or some such....

Your technique is incorrect. Make sure you right click and select Edit on the part to edit within the context of the assembly. When done properly it will behaive exactly as you are expecting.

The other assembly parts will become transulcent, but you can turn off this translucency if desired.

This is a common problem that users without training experience.

also JD will know better but I dont think that basing components off other components (planes, features etc) is a good way to model. JD, wont components become fixed or locked to these features or can you "float" and suppress the associated links.

basing components off other components (planes, features etc) is a good way to model.

Top-down in assembly context adaptive modeling is fine under the right conditions with an expert user. I have never seen a beginner do anything but get into trouble using adaptive modeling.

Skeletal modeling (master sketch modeling) is usually much more robust and stable. There are many free internet tutorials on skeletal modeling techniques.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you JD, I was able to complete the job at hand using your instructions!

Your advice is well taken, I can see that basing part edits on the geometry of other parts in an assembly is strewn with landmines.

Geoffrey