• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chulse

• ReMark

• Hardney

• rustysilo

Recently I decided to unload my LDD 2008 because C3D seemed to be working just fine. I also loaded SP2 about the same time. I noticed the slowness around that time too.

I tried a repair yesterday - no change, except now I nee to re-do some of the customizations I had forgotten to save. It's been a bad week :(

Sorry but I'm stumped. I'm not at all familiar with C3D. What size files are you working with? Does this problem crop up with every drawing file no matter what the size?

Here, look at these three articles from AutoDesk. I know that they do not specifically mention C3D, as a matter of fact they seem kind of dated, but they do address problems of slow regens from an AutoDesk software approach and from an OS approach.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/usearch/results?la=en&nh=10&col=wacjprd&col=usuppprd&siteID=123112&catID=123155&id=2088334&qt=slow+regen&x=8&y=4

Someone over at the AUGI website posted these suggestions for dealing with slow performance:

"...check your 3D Display settings Options>Systems>3D Performance. Check and see if hardware acceleration is on and so forth. You also might want to turn off visual effects settings."

That's about all I can come up with at the moment.

This might be a problem with the boot.ini file. I had a similar problem when I switched to C3D. The problem is because after a while when your file becomes too big, the virtual memory begins to overlap with the Windows' virtual memory. So in the boot.ini file, the is a switch you can turn on to limit the Windows' virtual memory to 1GB so it lets the rest of virtual memory to the other programs.

This might be a problem with the boot.ini file. I had a similar problem when I switched to C3D. The problem is because after a while when your file becomes too big, the virtual memory begins to overlap with the Windows' virtual memory. So in the boot.ini file, the is a switch you can turn on to limit the Windows' virtual memory to 1GB so it lets the rest of virtual memory to the other programs.

Are you referring to the /3GB boot switch?

Tried that ...it won't work with my video card :(

It didn't, well, sorry to hear that. Because it helped us to resolve all our regen and memory issues. So you are saying that this is a video card issue on your side... There is a list of recommended video cards by Autodesk, I guess you are aware of it. Here, we got one of the latest Nvidia geforce and never had any problems.

Good Luck!

The 3GB switch seems to have some specific conflicts with some vid cards. I get BSOD whenever I try it...

The card I have is supported by Autode$k. I do not think that's the issue with the slow regens.

I believe it is a result of removing LDD. I'm going to try a clean re-install...

The clean uninstall/reinstall worked.

Made for a bad day - up till 11 to get my project done...

All better now though :)

Thanks for the update. Too bad you had to resort to such a drastic step.

It's almost starting to sound like Microsoft advice. Got a problem? Reinstall your software.

How do we get into so much trouble in the first place? I know...computers. Can't live with them (too many headaches)... can't throw them in the regular trash (toxic waste).

You just jogged an old memory. An old supervisor's (at my first job) dad once threw the car dealers computer out the glass door to dispute charges on his repair bill.

You just jogged an old memory. An old supervisor's (at my first job) dad once threw the car dealers computer out the glass door to dispute charges on his repair bill.

Well, Thankfully my bad day wasn't THAT bad...:D

...I am still wondering if my issue had more to do with SP2 than anything else.

...perhaps I should wait a few days before loading a new SP...:glare:

• 7 months later...

Might be "Too obvious", but have you checked VIEWRES? Should be set to , say 2000. Higher values (i.e. 8k and up) cause long regens. You could also freeze unnecessary layers and labels and speed it up, but be sure to turn them back on before plotting.