how do I select objects through other 3d objects

MikeP

i want to be able to only select a 3d block when i hover over the edge of it. currently when i am anywhere inside the block it will select it. i dont want this

Tools > Options.....?

I think everyone went down to the pub for a pint.

ive looked so much, i cant seem to find a way to change this. seems similar to drawing order i guess but for 3d objects. and i only want the the selection to detect a part when it is on an edge not the face.

Switch to Wireframe.

I've moved your question to the 3D Modeling & Rendering section.

no that is only avoiding the problem rather than fixing it. there has to be a system variable for this

no that is only avoiding the problem rather than fixing it. there has to be a system variable for this

Well, that's the only way I know of, to do what you're trying to do. I moved your question here, in hopes that someone else would be able to provide other options, but it doesn't look like there are any. :unsure:

I think you might be expecting too much from AutoCAD. Maybe they'll incorporate Select Other... from Inventor at some point, but I don't think they've done it yet.

I think you might be expecting too much from AutoCAD. Maybe they'll incorporate Select Other... from Inventor at some point, but I don't think they've done it yet.

no im not i want cad to only select 3d objects of the cursor if over the edge, currently it selects it on a face aswell my 2006 version did not do this. so i know it is only a variable that needs to be changed

• 2 weeks later...

I know what your question is. I had a same problem while ago with CAD2007. I was trying to subtract an object which was inside a sphere and since I was in Realistic Visual Styles it was proving difficult. So to make thing easier click on View, Visual Styles and select 3D Hidden and carry out the operation you want and you can put Realistic Visual Style back by going back to View, Visual Styles and click on Realistic.