Xrefing & Layers

Secretagdan

I have a model that I am Xrefing into a plan. I now want to change layers in the model, to be reflected in the plan, but the layer updates are not reflecting in the plan. All of the original layer information (from the original Xref) is still there.

Is there a way to have the Xref update the new layer information, or do I have to detach and re-attach the Xref every time I change the layer information?

Thanks.

set VISRETAIN to 0 in the model and close and re-open the model.

edit - VISRETAIN should be set to 1 in the plan-drawing - not the file that is being x-reffed. Sorry if there was some confusion

Thanks. It’s almost the equivalent of detaching and re-attaching the Xref. In the over-all grand scheme of things, it takes less time to accomplish what is needed as the final result.

yes the first time it is the same thing pretty much. But if you always want your plan-drawings to reflect every change that happens in the X-refs - keeping VISRETAIN set to 0 means that every time the plan-drawing is opened, it loades all the x-ref again. And if you do make changes while the plan is open, a simple re-load of the x-ref will make the changes shine through. It's just the first time when you change VISRETAIN from 1 to 0 that you need to close and re-open.

It's just the first time when you change VISRETAIN from 1 to 0 that you need to close and re-open.

I thought you could just save the file and reload the xref to get that result? (not close and re-open)

I thought you could just save the file and reload the xref to get that result? (not close and re-open)

when I wrote my respons I realised that that should work but I will not bet on it. I have a feeling that I have tried it, and that it doesn't work...