Help me save a forest...! plotting problem

flem snopes

This may be an HP DesignJet 500 question more than an AutoCad question but I'm trying to print a 30x42 drawing (paper size-actual inked area is less than 30x42) on a roll of 42" wide paper.

No matter what I do in AutoCad, e.g., landscape, portrait, etc. and no matter what I do in plotter properties, e.g., Autorotate, alter the printable area, etc. the plot keeps coming out 30" wide by 42" high on the 42" roll paper, thereby wasting 12" x 42" inches of paper for every drawing.

Anybody got any ideas.

This may be an HP DesignJet 500 question more than an AutoCad question but I'm trying to print a 30x42 drawing (paper size-actual inked area is less than 30x42) on a roll of 42" wide paper.

No matter what I do in AutoCad, e.g., landscape, portrait, etc. and no matter what I do in plotter properties, e.g., Autorotate, alter the printable area, etc. the plot keeps coming out 30" wide by 42" high on the 42" roll paper, thereby wasting 12" x 42" inches of paper for every drawing.

Anybody got any ideas.

Do you not have a 30" roll? a 42" roll of paper is extremely rare in most commercial printers and environments. The biggest "standard" size is 48"x36" which can be acquired on a 36" roll. That's usually the biggest roll I've seen on any plotter of that standard.

You trying to print a 30x42 drawing (paper size-actual inked area is less than 30x42) on a roll of 42" wide paper. Right i don't how this possibles. are you right. there for i will try do this. and then after answer you ok my dear. u now i export in CAD Design Services.

check the paper size in plot dialoguebox & also the ploter property. it should read 42"x30" in both places for the way you want your prints.

I had similar problem in creating dwf & by changing the paper size in ploter property, I was able to rectify it.

When the Plot dialog box comes up, select your printer, then click on the Properties button to the right. This should bring up a second window called the Plotter Configuration Editor. Highlight Custom Properties then click on the Custom Properties button that will appear. On the Paper Quality tab under Paper Options click on the Custom button. At the Custom Paper Sizes window input the horizontal and vertical dimensions (42 and 30). This will be saved as Custom 1 when you click the OK button. Exit completely back out to the Plot dialog box and finalize your other plotting parameters. Now plot. Did you get the desired results?

Just for laughs...rotate the drawing itself in AutoCAD making sure to not go beyond 0,0 for the lower left corner when you do. Now plot it. What happens?

can you post the cad here ? or pm me. i had this prob when we first got our new hp DesignJet 500 printer it came with 42" paper,I'm sure autocad/printer is auto turning from landscape to portrait and its going to be one or more of your settings is wrong in your set up

• 1 year later...

hey everyone, i just figured it out.

I'm using autocad 2007 and I was trying forever to plot a 24x36 on an HP design jet 1055cm using the "save paper" dialog box and checking the autorotate option. The problem isn't with this option, it is with the paper size.

I had originally selected "oversize: arch D" as my paper size, but this was incorrect! It must be an ANSI paper size to recognize the correct margins. The issue is that even if you have a specific paper size picked out, the margins may not cooperate if you don't use an ANSI papersize. when the margins are too big for the roll, it automatically rotate's the drawings so the entire plot will come out. If you have any questions, shoot me an email.

Good luck!

Pat