Autosnap priorities

dsheppard

I want "Perpendicular" to NEVER NEVER appear as the first Autosnap option in a command. But it seems to be the first thing that pops up as the default. Whose brilliant idea was that? I don't want to get rid of it completely, and I don't want to have to scroll through with Tab every time.

Can I set Osnap priorities somehow?

For the first point, Perpendicular is meaningless. Perpendicular from what? Your last point? That is often random, and so you end up with a whole mess of points that look OK when you create them, but are actually a little bit off. Too little to notice until you try dimensioning and you get fractions all over the place.

Ever notice that things are 1/64" or 1/32" off? Wonder how they got there? It's the bloody perpendicular piece of crap initial snap. I'm chasing fractions around a drawing done by someone else right now. Pain in the bum, and the butt.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tiger

• dsheppard

• uddfl

• darn-net

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From someone who uses the Perpendicular snap almost daily I don't see how you can accuse that of being the culprit of everything - I'd lay the blame on shoddy autocad operators.

Why not just turn it off? I work with pretty much all OSnaps turned off, and invoke the one I need with a three-letter combination (PER=perpendicular). If it's that painful for you to keep it on, it sounds like the best option. At least I have never come across a way to change the priorities of OSnap.

I would love to know how to change the order of OSNAPS, if there is a way.

If you weren't aware. You can leave all OSNAPS on except PERpendicular and invoke PER at command line or shift right click when needed.

There are several ways to set this. The easiest way to set the OSNAPS you want on is to right click the OSNAP button on the lower status bar of AutoCAD and click Settings. There you will be able to check/uncheck the ones you want.

"Most of what I know came from the "F1" key"

One other option for you if you don't want to use the 3 letter commands for the OSNAPS (like I used to) and if you don't want to select them from the toolbars. You can always assign them to your F1-F12 keys. I did that last week and am very happy I did. It makes it simpler for me. Here is the link to a thread on how to do it: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8733

Shift and right mouse click is the quickest way for snaps, easily.

The only trouble with that method is that you have to move the mouse pointer away from your scene of action. It is actually quicker to press one of the F-keys whilst the cursor stays still. :)

I don't see how you can accuse that of being the culprit of everything - I'd lay the blame on shoddy autocad operators.

I agree. Don't blame the Osnaps. They are just doing their job. Bad drawings are a result of poor CAD drafting skills or lazy operators.

The only Osnaps I keep running, full time, are Endpoint, Midpoint, Intersection and Center. If I need any of the others, I just Shift+Right Click.

The only trouble with that method is that you have to move the mouse pointer away from your scene of action. It is actually quicker to press one of the F-keys whilst the cursor stays still. :)

I never have to move my cursor and can't see why anyone should. Perhaps you could explain?

I agree. Don't blame the Osnaps. They are just doing their job. Bad drawings are a result of poor CAD drafting skills or lazy operators.

The only Osnaps I keep running, full time, are Endpoint, Midpoint, Intersection and Center. If I need any of the others, I just Shift+Right Click.

that's 2 more than me - I don't have mid or end point running normally. I don't like having endpoint AND intersection as we have so many bad drawings that almost have intersections but don't. I prefer to extend the line to create a real intersection than snap to what looks like one but isn't.

I never have to move my cursor and can't see why anyone should. Perhaps you could explain?
I think he means that if you hover near the point and shift right click the dialogue box pops UP so you have to move your cursor up the list then back to the point.

I shift right click too.

OK. When you have got the Osnap dialogue box up on the screen, how do you pick your choice? You HAVE to move the cursor for the pick. :shock:

SnapPick.jpg

Thanks to all. Good advice.

Does anyone agree that PER is meaningless for the first point?

Typing PER gets tedious since the letters are so far apart and I use it so much. Can I create an ALIAS for an Osnap? I wouldn't mind typing P or PPP. We have some Lisp routines in the office that turn off all Osnaps, so I usually turn them ALL back on again.

Shift/Right click and programming the F keys are good, but they're workarounds. Osnap could be more idiot-proof than it is. It's no good saying everyone should just be more careful when they draft, there would be no wars if people were nice to each other, too. People are average.

"Pet Peeves" would be a good thread to start, except that it would never end, and I'm sure it's been done. And I'm done crusading against stupid drafting. But I might start it anyway. We could all learn something.

Thanks again.

Myself, i'm a shift+right-click --> perpendicular person running with the OSNAPs endpoint, midpoint, center, node, intersection, insertion (OSMODE=111).

I've considered the Function key, but i've used those F keys since R10 20 years ago. Maybe i should dust off my Kurta IS ONE digitizer with the 16 button puck. Reprogram the buttons adding

APParent Intersection to the list. lol.

Ahh yes, you can change the Alias. You can modify your acad.pgp file with a text editor, or if you have AutoCAD 2008 Express Tools loaded, use the dialog box. Command line "ALIASEDIT". You'll could hit the F1 key and read up on Aliases if you didn't already change it to a snap.

Here's a good idea which i may try. Change one of the function keys to toggle your regular running OSNAPS with PERpendicular. Click/Click and your back.

Don't think it was mentioned. You could use the PERp on a toolbar.

Enjoy!

Dave

"Most of what I know came from the "F1" key"

Does anyone agree that PER is meaningless for the first point?

It can always be used as a deferred snap.

For example you want to draw a line perpendicular to another line, and you start the line command and activate Perpendicular. Pick the first line, and the snap tooltip shows with an extra three dots on it (deferred snap). Now pick the point that you want to draw the line from, and the perpendicular line is drawn.

It has its uses :D

Shift/Right click and programming the F keys are good, but they're workarounds. Osnap could be more idiot-proof than it is. It's no good saying everyone should just be more careful when they draft, there would be no wars if people were nice to each other, too. People are average...

Most things in ACAD are workarounds - if you're not a programmer and can change the basic code of the program, that's what you do.

Like I said earlier, I use PER (typed) a lot - I type if one-handed and don't feel that it tedious, I prefer it to having a lot of OSnaps running all the time.

Aliases are only for commands. PER is not a command so you can't do it as far as I know with the Express Tools Command Alias Editor. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Aliases are only for commands. PER is not a command so you can't do it as far as I know with the Express Tools Command Alias Editor. Let me know if I'm wrong.

as far as I know you are correct, unfortunatly.

don't remember if it's been mentioned here, or if it's relevant, but there is a OSnap Toolbar that you can have up as well, and click on the Snap you want, when you want it

OK. When you have got the Osnap dialogue box up on the screen, how do you pick your choice? You HAVE to move the cursor for the pick. :shock:

When I shift+right click and the Osnap menu us up, a letter is underlined for each choice, just type that letter, P for Perpendicular, no need to move the mouse.

I still prefer the Function Keys method. I keep them all off and use the F keys unless I know I need a lot of endpoints in a row, then I set that one to running.