Softmod an Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ into Quadro stable?

lroa

Softmod an Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ into Quadro stable? primarily used with autocad 2009 highly detailed 3D blocks. we use a plugin (2020 technologies) that converts 2D furniture into 3D objects. since its tons of parts furnishing an entire school is out of the question.

setup:

dell insperion

32bit Vista

4gb ram

Core 2 Duo Quad 2.5

Radeon 2600 XT 256mb

im pretty sure its bottlenecking with the graphics ive concidered the Quadro FX570 or will the 9800 GTX+ be better as is or softmoded to a Quadro FX3700.

No, Softmodding is basically modifying the software (in this case the driver) instead of the hardware. The GeForce series is extremely similar in architecture to the Quadro. The drivers are not. Softmodding will tell a 9800 to act like its Quadro counterpart by modifying the driver.

I've never tried this. The main issue I have with it is in tracking down any bugs/glitches/crashes which AutoCAD throws at you. I don't want to have to figure out if its the program failing, a memory management issue, physical hardware problem, and then have the added complexity of worrying if the softmod is to blame.

I don't see much in terms of irreparable harm from attempting it. Just lost manhours. So you could probably attempt the softmod and see if it remedies your performance issues. In all likelihood it will outperform the 570. If the softmod doesn't seem to do much, you'd probably be better off with a 1700 or 3700 over the 570.

i understand the softmod tehcnic and it can be done rather easly. i did it on my laptop from a Geforce 8600 to a Quadro NVS 290 and AutoCAD 2009 ran much better. long term i have no idea which is why im asking if this softmodding to a Quadro is stable and realiable. especialy with a 9800 GTX+ with the G92 GPU. i belive it turns into Quadro FX3700.

im looking to buy a new graphics card to keep up to our projects that the current Radeon 2600 XT can not. i understand that i have to upgrade my PSU since its only 350watt with 18amp on one rail.

this is the card im most interested in: EVGA e-Geforce 9800 GTX+ 512mb and a PSU of 700watt with 24+amps on 2 or more rails. my question is if this card as a Geforce card good to run on AutoCAD 2009 as is or can it be softmoded to a Quadro and run reliable and stable?

I recently soft modded a hd3850 to a firegl v7700, been stable for about a month with no problems. I figure as long as you have all the correct configs (cant speak for nvidia softmods), such as the right drivers for a patchscript, everything should be fine. Personally, I figure that even if it gives you minor problems, its pretty easy to just revert back to the old original drivers, or stick through it considering the amount of money you save with a softmod.

how did you soft mod your ATI card? i have a 2600 XT that im willing to test out for now. i think it can be a FireGL V3700.

i placed my order from newegg for the 9800 GTX+ superclocked and a new OCZ 550 watt with +12V1@25A power supply. i plan to run it as a Geforce first then softmod it to compare.

heres a few links I used as references for softmodding my card:

(under 9 posts, cant do links...ill PM you :()

My advice is to do alot of reading before attempting, because it was somewhat hard to find updated, relevant information in regards to some cards. Definitely check out wikipedias FireGL page to see what the gpu core equivalent is for your card before doing anything. Dont forget - its easy to screw up, but its no big deal. Just reload the old catalyst drivers and its back to its original state. You could always ask on the guru3d rivatuner advanced forum to find out exactly how to do it, since the softmod really stems from using rivatuner and a modified patchscript for it.

Thats really the only advice I can give, as I dont think even I grasped the concept even AFTER softmodding my card to know how to write a tutorial for it. I just know that I never want to really do it again, but I would attempt it if I had to - the reward is pretty satisfying.