solidworks/flat to finish

maddbomber

i'm trying to draw a steel part from flat to a finished shaped all in one move, then cut out the sections along the part to get dimensional data along the shape. the shape will finish as a block letter U. i'm using an older 2004 solidworks. the shape again will start as flat sheet metal and finalize to a block letter U over a span of about 15 feet, i want to cutout a portion of the shape every 12inches to get the shapes data. has anyone done this process before.

im having a hard time following what you are trying to do. You want to cut sections of your U and get what kind of data from it? Are you trying to see how much the outside stretches compared to the inside either compressing or staying the same? How thick is your sheet?

I'm trying to remember how far back it was easier to just draw a solid and convert, but my memory fails me.

My suggestion for doing this in 'one shot', provided you have already laid out your bend allowance/K-factor requirements for your processes would be to draw your sheet metal part already formed as a base extrude (or a thin feature), make your cuts as they need to be on that finished part. Then use the add bends command to add the sheet metal functionality and get your flat pattern. I still do this on a regular basis depending on what I need from my finished part.

Alternatively, and this is something I occasionally need to do to get cuts in the proper locations or carve out little portions that don't act reliably in the formed view, is create your part with sheet metal functionality. Then you can use the unfold and fold commands to put it back in the flat for the cuts and reprocess the bends.

I hope that helps.