Xref Layer States

Schumi

I see a number of posts regarding similar problems, but haven't seen this one in particular:

It appears that if you have a layer state set in a drawing that contains an xref, detach the xref then re-attach it, you lose the settings in that layer state. Can anyone confirm that or, more to the point, know a way around that? I've tried exporting the layer state, then importing it back in after re-attaching the xref, but that seems to have no effect (in either ET Layer Mgr or Layer States Mgr).

I know you probably wouldn't typically detach & re-attach xrefs, but I had a situation where a drawing didn't seem to recognize changes to an xref (by reloading, etc). Only after re-attaching it were they recognized. Also, we've been having some problems (e.g. runtime errors) with a machine when switching between many layouts during plotting. After the drawing has crashed, many of the layer state settings will be corrupted. The only way to reinstate them is by-hand in many viewports with many layer settings - very difficult & time consuming!

Does anyone know the differences/advantages between the Layer States Manager & the express tools Layer Manager?

Thanks,

TJ