CADTutor's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Lecturer (Digital Design), Landscape Architect & Web Designer
    Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

FAQ Article "Thank you" from Autodesk

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Thank you

thank-you.png

Autodesk are nothing if not polite. The AutoCAD error reporting system is a good idea and at least makes you feel that they are interested in your problem: "We actively analyze..." etc. But I wonder whether there is anyone out there who has ever received an email back from Autodesk saying something like:

"Hi,

We've been working on that problem you reported yesterday and we now have a solution..."

Only in your dreams, I guess.
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.
    AutoCAD Tutorials | How to add images to your posts | How to register successfully | Forum FAQ

Using
    AutoCAD 2009

I actually got a response from a CER I sent off. The email arrived within 4 hours too; they basically requested more information about how the error came about. This was given to them; and by the next time I arrived at work the next day, the solution email was in my inbox.
    Please note, however, that I have only sent off 1 CER, so this is by far from the norm.
    Life's constantly changing - keep up or get left behind

Using
    AutoCAD 2008

One my acquaintance - official tester AutoDesk, the person which receives beta versions AutoCAD and then and the official version free of charge. He speaks that AutoDesk very unlikes when to it specify in a considerable quantity of bugs after official release. And not always answers that messages. But very much likes enthusiastic messages about utility of new options.

Computer Details
    CADTutor's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Motherboard:
    Asus P7P55D-E PRO
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-860
    RAM:
    4GB PC3-12800 C8 Corsair Dominator
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 768 MB
    Primary Storage:
    Intel X25-M SSD 160GB
    Secondary Storage:
    Samsung Spinpoint 320GB
    Monitor:
    BenQ FP241W 24" Wide
    Discipline
    Education
    CADTutor's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Lecturer (Digital Design), Landscape Architect & Web Designer
    Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Quote Originally Posted by NBC View Post
    I actually got a response from a CER I sent off. The email arrived within 4 hours too; they basically requested more information about how the error came about. This was given to them; and by the next time I arrived at work the next day, the solution email was in my inbox.
    Please note, however, that I have only sent off 1 CER, so this is by far from the norm.
    Wow! That's a great story and certainly restores my faith in the system. I've lost count of the number of CERs I've sent off and have never received a single reply.
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.
    AutoCAD Tutorials | How to add images to your posts | How to register successfully | Forum FAQ

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

No replies here but none were ever expected in the first place so I can't say I was disappointed.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    AlinOz's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Computer:
    HP xw4600
    RAM:
    6GB
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

Sounds like I'm one of the few lucky ones. Like NBC I managed to get a quick response to one of my Error reports but I think that I can put it down to a function they were particularly keen to get resolved. To explain, I can replicate and crash AutoCAD 2009 (and now, so can they) at will and Autodesk is concentrating on their new fangled gadget (the Ribbon Menu). As such, it was flagged to them as a problem.

In the end, it wasn't sorted, but at least there was a 'sort of' workaround.

By the way, if you're on 2009 and you are in the 'null drawing' mode (i.e. you have NO drawings open at all -including the template you get when you firsst open AutoCAD) and you try to use the recent documents or the Sheet set manager and the drawing preview trys to pop up, you can guarantee it's good night AutoCAD.

Workaround is to always have at least one drawing open or don't use the recent documents or Sheet Set Manager - that was Autodek's solution - roll on 2010

Using
    AutoCAD 2010

I've gotten a response form AutoDesk after submitting an error report. They emailed me and asked to get a copy of the drawing that I was working on. I complied, and never heard from them again. Although, the gentleman was indeed very polite.

Computer Details
    t1320t's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    XP
    CPU:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66 Ghz
    RAM:
    3.25 GB
    Primary Storage:
    WDC WD2500JS-60MHB5
    Monitor:
    Viewsonic 22" LCD
    Using
    AutoCAD 2009

I've probably sent them 30-40... and NEVER received a reply. Like said above, I too, wonder if anyone is really on the other end. I'm actually communicating w an AutoCAD tech via email right now... I send him an email, then 3 days later he offers a fix like "uninstall & reinstall AutoCAD". It's hard to have any faith in a system like that.

Computer Details
    AlinOz's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Computer:
    HP xw4600
    RAM:
    6GB
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

Well, believe it or not, I've had another major bug and Autodesk has at least been back to me and been through it with me (there's another thread all about this one). OK, no resolution has been supplied, but they could most certainly replicate the problem and it has now been passed on to the Programmers for them to look at - here's hoping.

That being said, what you may find is that your particular issue is being experienced by thousands (perhaps tens of thousands) users worldwide and as such,it would be impossible to reply to everyone about the same problem. Sure, there have been many reports I have put in too without a response, but when an update becomes available, I get a message to say that 'you had these issues..., there is a service pack available that resolves these...' (or something like that).

This makes me think that there is a computer sitting there looking at your reports and if it has been submitted previously, it just stores it for later - a new issue it sends for action by a tech. So hang in there and keep sending the reports as it may just highlight a particular problem to them...
    If you think there must be a better way, There probably is!!! AlinOz's overview of AutoCAD http://www.idraftdesign.com.au

Computer Details
    Glen1980's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Computer:
    Custom Rig
    Motherboard:
    Work: Intel Home: Gigabyte B95M
    CPU:
    i7 4790K 4Ghz
    RAM:
    Work: 16GB Home: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 GHz
    Graphics:
    Work: NVIDIA Quaddro K2200 Home: Geforce GT 960
    Primary Storage:
    Work: 256GB SSD Home: 500GB Crucial MX100 SSD
    Secondary Storage:
    Work: 500 GB 7200RPM Home: LAN access to drive
    Monitor:
    Work: Twin BENQ 22" Home: Single 29" Ultra wide LG
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Glen1980's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Technician - Residential
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    High Rise concrete frame. Low Rise traditional masonry construction Low Rise Timber Frame Conversion - Office, Schools & Colleges, Hospitals to residential flats/apartments.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2017

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I received a response (attached below) unfortunately it was a week after the crash and I couldn't remember why it had happened.

Hello,
    I am a developer working on the AutoCAD product line. First, let me apologize if you have already been contacted about this problem by anyone here at Autodesk and this email is a duplicate request.
    Recently you submitted a crash report against AutoCAD LT 2010 but did not indicate what you were doing at the time of the crash.

The crash report indicated that the following drawing was current at the time of the crash: "WH119 Second Floor Central flats.dwg".
    A reproducible crash means that each time you repeat a certain sequence of steps the crash happens. If this crash is reproducible would it be possible to get a copy of the drawings and the steps needed to cause the problem? Any data set you provide data will be kept confidential and only used to research this problem. From the crash report it's difficult to tell exactly what went wrong and having a way to reproduce the crash would be very helpful to us for improving the quality of the product. Any additional information that you could provide on this would be greatly appreciated. Please refer to report 28120555 for any correspondence on this issue.
    Please do not send your data set if the crash is not reproducible.

Regards,
    Mike Dickason
    Senior Developer
    AutoCAD Group
    Autodesk, Inc.