xref's

Rudbeckia

Hello, I need some xref help,

I am unfamiliar with xrefs. For a job i am working on a developer has given me access to a large set of drawings that are xrefs

When I open the .dwg file, I cant read anything just a bunch of file locations and a giant X R E F marking across the layouts

We are creating shop drawing from this set of drawings. Is there a certain way I download them to be able to read them?

And if I open a set of drawings on my computer and change them, do they change the whole set b/c they are xrefed?? any help is much appreciated.

try 'xref'

and you will see what reference is missing.. you need to ask them to send those reference to you as well.. or ask them to bind the reference to the drawing..

if they sent to you already, you need to go though each missing xref and point them to the right location

Frank

okay, its a huge set of drawings on a server and each one i have tried is like that, so i though i might be doing something wrong

how do I work on the drawings on my work computer without changing anything on their set, i do not want to update anything on their set

In the xref pallet you should be able to see the names of the files that are missing. If you know the location of those drawings/images, or can find out where they are, you can reload them or change the file paths through the xref pallet.

how do I work on the drawings on my work computer without changing anything on their set, i do not want to update anything on their set

Do you plan to make changes to the referenced files?

In the xref pallet you should be able to see the names of the files that are missing. If you know the location of those drawings/images, or can find out where they are, you can reload them or change the file paths through the xref pallet.

Do you plan to make changes to the referenced files?

no, I am basically creating a totally new sheet that will not be attached to the large file, i just will be using the information on the large file as a base to draw on

In that case, just don't use the edit-in-place feature on the xrefs. If you double click on an xref, it will open the reference editor. If you make changes while in the reference editor, those changes will affect the original files.

If you accidentally find yourself in the reference editor, use refclose. Otherwise, you shouldn't have to worry about updating their drawings.

In that case, just don't use the edit-in-place feature on the xrefs. If you double click on an xref, it will open the reference editor. If you make changes while in the reference editor, those changes will affect the original files.

If you accidentally find yourself in the reference editor, use refclose. Otherwise, you shouldn't have to worry about updating their drawings.

thanks! if i resave the file with a different name will that keep me from even accidentally opening the edit in place and changing the linked file?

no. No matter which drawing is displaying the xrefs, it is still linked to the original reference files.

edit: Unless, like Frank mentioned, the xrefs are bound to the file.

no. No matter which drawing is displaying the xrefs, it is still linked to the original reference files.

edit: Unless, like Frank mentioned, the xrefs are bound to the file.

what if I copy and paste elements from one file to the next, will the new copy be xrefed as well?

nothing in a new drawing will be xref'd unless you explicitly insert an external reference.

I suppose that you could wblock a drawing and insert it into your new drawing, but you'll lose any coordinate data associated with the blocked drawing.