Bentley

Primal Scientist

Hi All

I have just spoken to a friend and he has been refering to CAD Drawings in a 'Bentley' Format.

Can anyone shed any light on this? What is Bentley? And what is Oracle? :?

Please help.

Regards and thanks in advance once again!!

Primal

The definition of CAD is Computer Aided Design. MicroStation and AutoCAD are both very capable CAD programs.

Are you asking if MicroStation drawings are similar to AutoCAD drawings? Certainly the drawing file formats (dgn versus dwg) are not but AutoCAD does allow for the importing of DGN files. From AutoCAD 2009 Help file:

"The import process translates basic DGN data into the corresponding DWG file data."

For more information about AutoCAD and MicroStation files (attaching, importing and exporting) please refer to your AutoCAD Help files.

Note: You may also see CADD used. This is taken to mean Computer Aided Design and Drafting.

If you will be doing conversion work between AutoCAD and Microstation this would be a good thread to read up on. Also follow the external links given in the thread as they lead to more good information on the topic.

It would be very tough to claim that the DWG file format is a subset of the DGN file format in that AutoDesk's first release was in December, 1982 (using the DWG format) while Bentley released MicroStation 2.0 in Feb., 1987 as the first version to read and write DGN files.

Granted, AutoDesk and Bentley are sharing more information now than ever before. This actually got its start in 2000 when Bentley revised the DGN file format in version 8 to better support the import/export of AutoDesk's DWG format. AutoDesk, for whatever reason, now seems to be going out of its way to facilitate the use of DGN files within AutoCAD.

From Bentley

And, we had to extend the DGN format to be a "pure" superset of the DWG format so we hold everything in a DWG inside a DGN

http://communities.bentley.com/blogs/keith_bentleys_blog/archive/2008/07/31/the-bentley-autodesk-agreement-what-does-it-mean-for-bentley-users.aspx

Does say the files are quite different, though.

I see it the other way, but it's not an issue that particularly bothers me.

Since the agreement between Autodesk and Bentley to share libraries, I am sure it will be a lot smoother when using and converting the two etc.

I see it the other way, but it's not an issue that particularly bothers me.
nor me.

What does concern me is that 2 native English speakers read it differently - how many other interpretations will the American speaker bring. :shock: