• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raggi_Thor

• Jillymaxo

• ReMark

• Strix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A titleblock can be something as simple as a rectangular box in the lower right hand corner of your drawing that contains the:

-Name & logo of the company that did the drawing.

-Name of the project.

-Scale of the drawing.

-Date drawing was completed.

-Initials of the person who did the drawing.

-Drawing number.

-Sheet number.

As Tankman suggested, check out some of the sample drawings or templates that AutoCAD provides. There should also be examples on the Internet.

• 7 months later...

I posted a question on a thread about creating titleblocks in autocad 14. I am relearning and starting up my own business after raising children which I am still doing.

All the tricks are coming back to me, but I am having trouble remembering how to make titleblocks in model space. Should I just make them in paper space? How do I know if it is the right size for the different sheet sizes?

Release 14 huh? Good question.

Are you going to make your drawings to "scale" as one would if doing it on the drafting board?

How comfortable are you working in paper space?

Thanks for your reply.

I have drawn them already in model space.

I remember that I can have my titleblock in paperspace and then scale the drawing to whatever scale I want in the viewport such as 1/8" or 1/4" whatever fits best for they are small drawings.

I just want to have titleblocks that are ready for print out on a 8.5 x 11 sheet and whatever the standard size is for blueline ( I think 24 x 3?)

I know I can make all the different titleblocks and bring them in as xrefs or blocks, I just can't remember exactly how I used to do it. It has been 10 years.

Thanks for your help!:)

I am glad we think metric :-)

A house plan going to be printed at 1:100, just scale the border and title block 100.

1:50 scale it 50 and soo on.

Then Plot, Extents.

I use two title blocks, same information on both.

One is portrait, one is landscape. Most often the landscape view.

It is good practice to have one title block and several borders (also blocks). Then you can (later) replace the border and keep the title block.

You could create a "master" titleblock and border for your three or four common sheet sizes (24x36, 18x24, 11x17 and 8.5x11). These could be used where needed in model space, if you want, by scaling them accordingly. Working at 1/4"=1'-0" scale? Then scale the titleblock and border up by a factor of 48.

Ok, this is getting too confusing for me at the moment. I created an 8.5 x 11 boarder with a title block. I think it might be easier to create them all in model space and then bring them into paperspace for my drawings. That is how I used to do it, but the company I worked for had them all done!

When creating them in model space how do I draw them?? Meanng just draw 8.0" x 10.5" so I have a boarder and then add the title block to it? It was so tiny in ms. I am not sure I understand how to scale the border when get it into paperspace.

Please help!

Just draw the border at correct size, offset for your paper margins.

Then make a block of it.

Draw the title block also at natural size.

Use ATTDEF for to define attributes with tags like "Drawn_by", "Date" etc.

Make a block of that one too, Insertion Base Pint at the lower right.

Save that drawing and use ADC (Design center) to insert those blocks in other drawings. Or use W for WBLOCK to save the title block (and border) as a plain dwg file and use INSERT + Browse to insert it in other drawings.

Now, in MS you scale the title block "up" when you insert it and then you scale everything "down" when you print or plot. So insert it with ascale factor of 48 for example (see the other thread on scale factors).

In PS you "are on a paper sheet", insert the title block at scale 1. Then set a scale for the viewport(s).

Draw everything full size. You might want to "orient" yourself by drawing a rectangle representing your paper size then placing your titleblock and border within this area. Pay attention to your layers, colors, and text style (font) now while creating these master sheets so you don't have to go back later and futz around with them. I'd also recommend starting in the lower left-hand corner at 0,0 and not out in space somewhere.

I don't mean to be a dingy blond from California, but this is all new to me since I haven't done this in 10 years.

I understand bringing in the title sheets from a file as a block into paperspace but I just don't quite understand drawing them in model space because they all seem so small. When you say draw at natural size, does that mean in ms. or ps?

I will need to just try it out. It seems to come back to me as I work on it.

I drew one, like I said in paperspace and tried to thicken the lines and it wouldn't work for the boarder. I will do what you said in the above post.

I am working with my old autocad 14 so I don't have all the modern conveniences of autocad 2009 with the libraries etc.