import excel file

silviu30

I exported the attributes of a block to an external excel file using data extraction wizard ,I changed the data and i want to import the updated attributes back to autocad How can I do this (i use autocad 2008)

Thanks Silviu.

You can also goto TOOLS > DATA LINKS > DATA LINK MANAGER

although im only on 2006 and don't have this funtion yet.... I know some people are having difficulty with large tables. :(

HOWEVER...... i would create an autocad table in my drawing if you are using the attribute extraction - then when you make a change to the data you are extracting a command prompt appears and the table will update automatically. :D

So just how do you create a table within AutoCAD. I am using AutoCAD 2000 and would like to have a schedule within a drawing, lets say 5 columns wide by 8 rows high. When I import an excel table into my drawing and print it out the text within the table is about 80% unreadable.

Thanks

JamFam

• 5 months later...

I'm searching for answers in regards to importing excel files into AutoCAD drawings. It works nicely but the print is unreadable in some areas of the page. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to how the plot will turn out. :?

I found your question on this AutoCAD link and was wondering if you ever found an answer to getting a readable printing.

Any read back would be appreciated. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
I'm searching for answers in regards to importing excel files into AutoCAD drawings. It works nicely but the print is unreadable in some areas of the page. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to how the plot will turn out. :?

I found your question on this AutoCAD link and was wondering if you ever found an answer to getting a readable printing.

I have recently been importing tables into AutoCAD (2008, go to draw, table and go to insertion options. then use the 'from a data link'. then you can select cells you want to use in the excel file. You can then modify the text once you have inserted in the drawing. it works quite well..... Hope this helps if you have not already sorted it...

I have been playing with data link tables for months and cannot figure out how to get it to plot properly either. one cell will plot right and the one next wont with all properties set the exact same. let me know if you figure something out for it.

I exported the attributes of a block to an external excel file using data extraction wizard ,I changed the data and i want to import the updated attributes back to autocad How can I do this (i use autocad 2008)

Thanks Silviu.

Do you mean that you want to import the attributes you changed from excel back into the blocks?

If this is the case you will need to save the excel file to a .txt file. Then go to Express -> Blocks -> Import Attribute Information. Pick your text file and it should update the attributes of the blocks in CAD from the file.

As long as you did not change the block names, just the attribute descriptions this should work.

I seem to remember it had to do with the OLE objects setting, I cant remember if for 2000 it needed to be set to graphic or text but you might play araound with these properties and see if you can get something that prints right.

• 1 year later...
I seem to remember it had to do with the OLE objects setting, I cant remember if for 2000 it needed to be set to graphic or text but you might play araound with these properties and see if you can get something that prints right.

Thanks a lot. I know that the express tools also shall be used.

I'm currently using Autocad Electrical 2008 so I'm not sure if this is available in Autocad, but by chance it is:

PROJECTS > EXPORT TO SPREAD SHEET

There is also an UPDATE FROM SPREAD SHEET function.

These are used if you want to correct attributed information in the spread sheet and import it back into your drawing to make corrections.

Just be careful and make sure you really mean it. :lol:

We use the "reports" feature extensively at my current position. You can run your chosen report, export it to spread sheets or choose to save it on a drawing.

Somebody let me know if you have these features in Autocad so I'll know if I need to keep my mouth shut. :D

Btw, Chealsea.......could not agree more with your signature.