creating a surface from lots of points for 3D mapping

sinanp

Hi

I'm trying to create a surface from a 3D mapping service .dxf/.dwg file. It is essentially masses of point height data at every 5m intervals for an area of around a square kilometer, so a lot of points. Unfortunately the example file I have is too big to upload (2.7mb) and I can't post the link to where I got it either as I have too few posts on this forum at the moment. If you would like to see the information, email me and I can send the link or file if that helps. sinanpirie at gmail dot com

Wondering what the best way to make a surface from this data would be. Tried converting the points to a point cloud and then MeshfromPoints which creates a mesh. Then I struggle to convert this to a surface. Tried MeshtoNurb but there are too many meshes. So I tried to point cloud a smaller area thinking I could join the pieces but the end result looked quite odd and not a smoothish surface as I wanted, more similar to a jagged mesh surface?

any advice welcome!

Try changing the setting from render properties... You should be able to see meshes, select that and click smooth & slower... Like what it states, slower... better rendering quality, will be slower that's the disadvantage of this setting... Another choice is to do custom setting... I'm still not that good yet, so if need to try out custom settings, u need to find means to help urself:D