• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matt4

• skipsophrenic

• Strix

• paulmcz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I drew it using relative coordinates. However the first component wasn't drawn using that method.
Can you explain a bit more clearly how the parts were drawn. I don't understand how you got a part to be too big "using relative coordinates".

If I scale it down to .5 is it still scaled to A4?

Here might be the problem. The paper size is irrelevant when talking about size.

Matt,

Try a qick redraw of one line with units set to unitless,

What happens?

Same thing :roll:

Can you explain a bit more clearly how the parts were drawn. I don't understand how you got a part to be too big "using relative coordinates".

Here might be the problem. The paper size is irrelevant when talking about size.

I used relative coordinates for the component and the whole template was set to a scale of 0.707 for A4 size. I need to have a A4 template as my tutor said. I'm pretty confused on how much more clearly you want me to explain because thats all I used. Just relative coordinates.

Thanks for your help

I used relative coordinates for the component and the whole template was set to a scale of 0.707 for A4 size. I need to have a A4 template as my tutor said.

Are you drawing the component in paperspace/layout or in model space?

Same thing :roll:

I used relative coordinates for the component and the whole template was set to a scale of 0.707 for A4 size. I need to have a A4 template as my tutor said. I'm pretty confused on how much more clearly you want me to explain because thats all I used. Just relative coordinates.

Thanks for your help

Could you upload the drawing here?

Model Space

Sure... drawing is attached. Please note if you fix the problem on the drawing I can't use it. As its cheating. I am only allowed to ask for help on this assignment not have another person do it for me.

Thanks

MM_3.dwg

bother - can't see the drawing here (keep meaning to download a viewer)

do you know which is model space and which is paperspace?

are you drawing in model or paper?

is your A4 drawing template in modelspace or paperspace?

please tell me you DON'T have one of those loony tutors who wants AutoCAD to be a pen and ink drawing board!

... and are you using viewports

bung UCS in the help menu (or the command line) and see what it spits out at you

bother - can't see the drawing here (keep meaning to download a viewer)

do you know which is model space and which is paperspace?

are you drawing in model or paper?

is your A4 drawing template in modelspace or paperspace?

please tell me you DON'T have one of those loony tutors who wants AutoCAD to be a pen and ink drawing board!

... and are you using viewports

bung UCS in the help menu (or the command line) and see what it spits out at you

I am using Modelspace. I know the difference between those two :)

A4 drawing is done in modelspace. At college I was always taught to do it in paperspace but here I am told to use modelspace.

lol, on the loony tutors!

Not using viewports.

I will check UCS in the morning as I am away from the machine that has cad installed here :(

Thanks!

There is no problem to fix in the drawing. I drew 45.5 units long line in your drawing, then I measured it and it was really 45.5 units. If you wanted to draw the part 45.5 units long, how did you manage to make it 91 units long?

oh good grief - you're going to have fun on this course then!

nightmare :(

nobody scales a drawing to fit inside a border - it HAS to be done the other way round! What the heck is the point in having a system that can draw the universe 1:1 scale, then doing something screwy with it that makes it impossible to add new planets accurately? [/rant]

I'd draw the horrid thing 1:1, bring the border in, copy the border, scale one border up until it fits okay, then scale the whole lot back down and sort out the scale on the dimensions

actually I wouldn't

I'd be the twerp in the class who drew it in a modelspace, stuck the border in paperspace where it belongs, added a viewport, dimensioned it in paperspace, and if he DARED mark me down, I'd take it to the college board - but that's the hard way :wink:

nobody scales a drawing to fit inside a border - it HAS to be done the other way round!

You'd be surprised! I worked in a company with 11 draftsmen where exactly that was an established practice.

As you said, a nightmare.

like strix I can't see your drawing here but I'm still confused about your sizing. When I asked how you drew the thing I was expecting something like.

LINE

@40

COPY

@10

Which will give two 40mm long lines, 10mm apart.

Without that sort of information I can't guess why it is too big.

Anyway, you're in good hands here so I'll drift away. I hope you get it sorted soon.

just being a little economical with the truth - I can see the drawing but I don't have a means of opening it. However you have confirmed that we don't know what the actual problem is. Your line came out the correct size so where do we go from here?

Without knowing what steps Matt took to draw what he did we can't get anywhere. It would also be good if we know how it should look like (including the title block, scale, etc) when it is all finished.

That is the point I was trying to get from him.

Having had a quick look back at what I have written it could be read as quite dismissive, but its not. We get quite a lot of "do my homework" requests on here but I don't think that is the case here. His post saying "don't do it for me - it must be my work" backs that up and with that attitude I am sure we are all wanting to help - but at the moment he is not giving us enough to go on. I can't help him any more until I get more information.

To put it politely matt, if they're telling u do draft the opposite way as to the way stix has described, then it's going to be difficult l8r on down the road.

okay, okay - we're all being unhelpful - sorry!

Matt - press F2 and copy and paste us your command line history

(you might have to redraw the thing again to be able to do that after you've closed AutoCAD) - that's what the guys are asking for (and don't worry if you've not been doing the @40 thing either - there's other ways of doing that too, and we can probably talk you through all of those too so you have a MUCH better understanding of this software than your tutor clearly has :thumbsup: )

You'd be surprised! I worked in a company with 11 draftsmen where exactly that was an established practice.

As you said, a nightmare.

Actually - Dbroada and I usually draw straight into a border in modelspace - but electrical schematics are exempt from this discussion :wink: