Circle looks like elipse in my new widescreen LCD monitor

Lance

Hi to All,

What setting do I need to change to make the circle in autocad does not look like elipse? I already change the resolution to all the available but I can't find the correct setting to make the circle look perfect.

Thanks,

Lance

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• f700es

• TimZilla

• Lance

check the monitor's manual for the "native resolution" and make sure it's set to that setting. that's the only thing i can think of why a circle would be out of wack. as long as the correct res is set there shouldn't be any problems at all.

check the monitor's manual for the "native resolution" and make sure it's set to that setting. that's the only thing i can think of why a circle would be out of wack. as long as the correct res is set there shouldn't be any problems at all.

thanks for the quick reply bro. I already tried tinkering with the resolution but to no avail. I am thinking is there any setting in the autocad to change the display to widescreen? or how to change the display mode to user setting? the available in my system that near the perfect circle setting are 1280X720 and 1280X960. If only I can set that to in between maybe it is ok.

Also make sure that your video card can use a widescreen monitor. Some can, some can not.

I finally got a widescreen at work and I love it. Gonna have to get one at home.

I know this comment doesn't help the current query, but it is interesting to note that correcting the Dot Aspect Ratio used to be part of configuring the Video Display for AutoCAD.

You measured the height and width of a "square" on the screen and used these to correct the appearance on the screen.

Oh well, such is progress! :(

Thanks for all the reply.

Eldon-Bro, how can I correct the Dot Aspect ratio? That might be what I am looking for, to configure the video display for autocad.

f700es-Bro, how can I check if my video card can handle widescreen?

I forgot to mention that previously we are using an ordinary CRT monitor and everything are ok but when we change the monitor to LCD panoramic screen or widescreen the problem starts. The view seems to be stretch. My main concerned is the autocad and one thing I noticed is the circle looks like elipse.

post up a link of which brand you bought so i can read up on the specs. also, can you tell us what video card you're running? because F7 is right, the videocard has to support the "native resolutaion" or the same aspect ratio. trust us, it's probably 99.9% NOT AutoCAD, and 99.9% your video card/monitor resolution. 8)

I know this comment doesn't help the current query, but it is interesting to note that correcting the Dot Aspect Ratio used to be part of configuring the Video Display for AutoCAD.

You measured the height and width of a "square" on the screen and used these to correct the appearance on the screen.

Oh well, such is progress! :(

I was going to post about that. :D

I didn't as I had forgotten how you did it or how it was called. In fact I was beginning to doubt if the command really existed or if I had made it all up. IIRC it was part of the configuration as you installed AutoCAD.

:( I am afraid the dot aspect ratio was something that happened with DOS.

This new fangled Windows operating system took away this feature, and I was bemoaning the lack of being able to control as one used to be able to.

Having said that, and given you every assistance short of actual help, perhaps it is a setting in Windows. Try going to control panel - Display properties. There you can get Windows to identify which type of display you have and also you can set up multiple monitors.

My present setup is two monitors - one widescreen and one conventional, and a circle in AutoCAD looks like a circle on both of them. :D

Same here with me Eldon. I have a 20" Dell widescreen as my left monitor (main) and a 20" Dell non widescreen and my right and both work just fine.

As I said earlier I am planning on getting a widescreen at home but my nVidia GF FX5200 did not support them so I had to plan ahead and get a new card. My GF6600 does support them. So I had look at nVidia and see which ones do and don't support wide panels.

Lance, what card are you running?

As already stated you need to adjust your monitor resolution. However did the monitor come with a disk that has its drivers on it? Don't just use the "plug and play monitor" driver.

Click Start, click Run, type devmgmt.msc, and click okay. This will display the Device Manager.

In Device Manager, click the + by Monitors

If it just has the Plug and Play Monitor right click and "Update driver". If you have a Disk for your monitor don't use any of the auto search options.

Thank you guys for all the reply's. Based on what I have found my CPU uses Intel® 82845g/gl/ge/pe/gv graphics controller. Does this support widescreen resolution? I really think now that the Adapter is the culprit. Do you think updating the driver can solve my problem?

I'm looking around and spotted a widescreen monitor that I thought would make a decent purchase and I asked the bloke in PCWorld if it would be ok to use my usual applications like Autocad and he explained that I may encounter this problem as it appears 'stretched' Also that when I view normal webpages I would require more scrolling. God knows I'm a bit muddled now, I don't knwo if it's a good idea to get one or not now.

The bottom line is that your current graphics card/controller must support the native resolution of the widescreen monitor. If this is the case, images can be displayed pixel for pixel and circles will be displayed as circles. If your graphics controller does not support the native resolution of the widescreen monitor, some other resolution will be used and most likely, the aspect ratio of that resolution will not match the aspect ratio of the monitor - circles will then appear as ellipses.

You must find out the native resolution of the monitor and then check that your graphics controller supports that resolution. Having done that, you need to set that resolution using the Windows Display Manager because Windows isn't cleaver enough to do this on its own.

Thank you guys for all the reply's. Based on what I have found my CPU uses Intel® 82845g/gl/ge/pe/gv graphics controller. Does this support widescreen resolution? I really think now that the Adapter is the culprit. Do you think updating the driver can solve my problem?

well that's your problem right there - you have an Integrated Intel Graphics Controller, which means one thing: your graphics card SUCKS!! haha no offense to you, just to the crappy video controller.

make sure you have an extra slot open, then hop on www.newegg.com or something, and get a cheap $50 ATI or nVidia based graphics card. or go to your local retailer. but, you MUST find out what your native monitor resolution is, so you can write it down and match it up with your new product. 8)

I'm looking around and spotted a widescreen monitor that I thought would make a decent purchase and I asked the bloke in PCWorld if it would be ok to use my usual applications like Autocad and he explained that I may encounter this problem as it appears 'stretched' Also that when I view normal webpages I would require more scrolling. God knows I'm a bit muddled now, I don't knwo if it's a good idea to get one or not now.

Skeeps, this bloke is a moron, and please tell him I said so. Widescreen monitors are perfect for CAD applications. Just make sure your video card can handle the monitor and resolutions. That's all you need to do to use a wide screen monitor. You can even get low cost video cards to handle these, just don't expect to play any killer games with it.

I have been told that any nVidia GeForce 6 series card will run in widescreen. And if any U.S. buyers are looking here is a $40 card that will run widescreens....

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=FX-6200-128-AGP&cat=VCD

again not a killer card but a serious upgrade to anyone with a FX5200 or MX400 series card now. Even has dual head and T.V. out.

well that's your problem right there - you have an Integrated Intel Graphics Controller, which means one thing: your graphics card SUCKS!! haha no offense to you, just to the crappy video controller.

make sure you have an extra slot open, then hop on www.newegg.com or something, and get a cheap $50 ATI or nVidia based graphics card. or go to your local retailer. but, you MUST find out what your native monitor resolution is, so you can write it down and match it up with your new product. 8)

Good call Styke but he needs to see if his motherboard either has a PCIe or AGP slot. If he does not either than I don't know if I would even upgrade the card and maybe just save up for a new PC with a PCIe slot.

Hmmm...Lance bad news it seems. I just looked up that chipset on the Intel site and that looks to be an older motherboard. The best video card that this board looks to support is an AGP 4x video card.

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/845g/

Another thing that makes me think that you might need a new machine is that this board handles both DDR and PC133 ram. I would ask the powers that be that you might need a new and more CAD dedicated PC. Good luck bro :)

ah yes, sometimes i forget.

Lance, the easiest way to find out EXACTLY what type of slot you have open, if at all, is to download This Program called PC Wizard. (don't worry it's not a virus) install it and go to the motherboard option, and it will tell you which slots are availiable on the motherboard. (PCI-E, AGP, or PCI slots). this way we can further help you on your conquest to perfect circles on your monitor. 8)